• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Indestructable?

TheRevTy

Oakley Beginner
I know nothing is truly impervious to destruction, but Oakley has made the claim that X Metal frames are pretty close - even claiming they ran it over with a tank. For those of you who've had X Metals since day 1, how durable are they really?

The biggest question I have is re: the flex coupler. I know it loosens to the point of needing replacement, but will it ever flat out break? If my Juliets are quite flexy, but fit just fine, should I be concerned about breakage, or can I wear them with confidence?

Thanks for any and all responses!

No one? From what I've read, the flex coupler is made from unobtanium, and after time I've seen those disintegrate, so should handle these with extreme care until I can afford a tune-up?

No one? From what I've read, the flex coupler is made from unobtanium, and after time I've seen those disintegrate, so should handle these with extreme care until I can afford a tune-up?

I'd say the frame itself is indestructable as in you probably cannot bend them if you tried unless you did at the hinges. You should definitely take care of the nose hinges because they will get very loose and then would need a tune up. I'm sure if you tried hard enough you can destroy the flex coupler since they are only rubber pieces, which is why anyone who owns an X Metal should treat it with care.

Thanks - so it would likely take a lot to fully break the coupler? Good, I won't feel too nervous wearing them.

Has anyone here ever had / seen / heard of a truly destroyed X Metal?

I have a x-metal XX that was thrashed to ****.. the flex coupler will NOT just fall apart as its held in place by rivets.. but it will get loose to the point of ridiculousness. see my thread http://www.oakleyforum.com/diy-modding-discussion/2640-brips-x-metal-halloween-special.html and you will see in photos how badly loose the flex couplers get.. but will not fall off as its riveted.. metal to metal.

i think thats the worst shape ive ever seen an x-metal..

I happend to stumble upon someone posting a few pictures of their Juliet Arms which BROKE IN HALF x_X. Im guessing its due to some kind of factory defect...just one of them broke........scary picture(s) to look at though!!!!!!!!
Please copy and paste these links to your browser since I dont know how to post them directly because they're not my photos...

Flickr: Please wait...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alejandrocalderon/4340198430/in/pool-1289223@N25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alejandrocalderon/4339453519/in/pool-1289223@N25

I happend to stumble upon someone posting a few pictures of their Juliet Arms which BROKE IN HALF x_X. Im guessing its due to some kind of factory defect...just one of them broke........scary picture(s) to look at though!!!!!!!!
Please copy and paste these links to your browser since I dont know how to post them directly because they're not my photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alejandrocalderon/4340198430/in/pool-1289223@N25
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alejandrocalderon/4339453519/in/pool-1289223@N25
If you look closely at those pictures, the arm broke right where it thins to stop the ear shock from moving too far forward. Also, in the last picture you can see the extreme curve on the intact arm. It seems to me that this was a case of someone trying to fit a Juliet too tightly around the head (nugget, noggin, or for this poor guy, not an Oakley accessory). ::removes Sherlock Holmes hat::
All x-metal frames will bend and eventually break if put to too much stress. It's a characteristic of any metal, flex it enough and it will become brittle. If you ran them over with a tank they may not initially break but they will become sad, deformed and unusable shades. Take care of them and they will happily reciprocate. I love my metals too much to put them through the amount of stress it would take to actually break them. To me, that's indestructable enough.

Also, if you think of the flex coupler more as a padded hinge it starts to make more sense. It isn't the unobtainium that holds it together. The portion of the frame that holds the lens protrudes into the bridge and the unobtainium pads just keep it tight. The rivet holds the two pieces together but when the unobtainium wears out it leaves a big gap which creates the flex. I've seen frames that were so worn out they could flex into a pretzel shape. I hope I made sense in that explanation?

i personally have put x-metals to a pretty good test, took a pair of just frames and stood on them with no lenses in them, basically they flexed in the noise and that was it, frame was in the same shape and all was good, no problems or anything like that. i am also not exactly the lightest of guys either, i would say they hold up pretty freaking awesome if you ask me. ive never seen a pair smashed or anything like that.

I'd like to bring this post back from dead......how much stress woudl it take to snap the earstem like that in half?? anyone have any idea? Today I tried to bend it to straighten it out more (less curve) since my head is on the larger side...but i was afraid I'd snap it like in that photo....

Back