• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Indestructable?

lol so technical. but seriously...its pretty sturdy?

Haha yeah I was just messing around...

But seriously, yes, it's pretty sturdy.

There's evidence that, in some examples, the mixture of the five metals in the Ti alloy isn't 100% uniform. Also, there can be tiny bubbles in the casting, as shown by the pitting sometimes seen when trying to polish. Those could be weak points where a frame is more likely to break.

But I've seen some serious bends done to these things; I wouldn't worry too much. Just apply the force gradually and as distributed as you can. You should be fine.

That said, be aware that modifying the shape of a frame will kill its resale value...

Haha yeah I was just messing around...

But seriously, yes, it's pretty sturdy.

There's evidence that, in some examples, the mixture of the five metals in the Ti alloy isn't 100% uniform. Also, there can be tiny bubbles in the casting, as shown by the pitting sometimes seen when trying to polish. Those could be weak points where a frame is more likely to break.

But I've seen some serious bends done to these things; I wouldn't worry too much. Just apply the force gradually and as distributed as you can. You should be fine.

That said, be aware that modifying the shape of a frame will kill its resale value...

Thank you. I essentially left it alone. I realized it was the temple shocks that were a larger size than I usually use, so somehow made it seem the earstems were more "curved" than usual. I changed it to my typtical size 15, and all is well now!

the only problem I see with loose frames Is that they could fall off your head easier

Put it this way, when we are all long gone, our X Metals will still be there
Haha! I would like to see that archeologist in 1000 years time finding a skeleton with a pristine pair of X-Metals!

They may think they were for preventing some sort of rays coming out its eyes or something LOL! :)

Just to add to the discussion about flaws in the casting. All production procedures are going to have some element of failure. In this case I would imagine microfractures are a key issue. If this was part of a jet engine each far would be dipped into a fluorescent dye and checked for flaws and possibly other checks also (lives being at risk). At the end of the day there are no lives hanging in the balance with a pair of sunglasses snapping!

Haha! I would like to see that archeologist in 1000 years time finding a skeleton with a pristine pair of X-Metals!

They may think they were for preventing some sort of rays coming out its eyes or something LOL! :)
Maybe a little oxidation on our X Metals after 1000 years but other than that, tip top haha

Latest Posts

Back