• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Indestructable?

Just to add to the discussion about flaws in the casting. All production procedures are going to have some element of failure. In this case I would imagine microfractures are a key issue. If this was part of a jet engine each far would be dipped into a fluorescent dye and checked for flaws and possibly other checks also (lives being at risk). At the end of the day there are no lives hanging in the balance with a pair of sunglasses snapping!
Casting via gravity would also be a very bad method of production.

The actual X-Metal material itself I'd say is pretty darn durable, it's just everything else that requires care. Especially the lenses.

I use to throw my oldest pair of Juliets in a hiking pack totally unprotected and throw them to my partner if they would fog up during a rock climb for example. They get stowed away in my trunks when surfing, snorkling etc and they never ever rusted or gone wrong. Even the screws were fine.

With Juliets the lenses got replaced three times because they would get so scratched up and the Flex couplers would never let go, but as others have said, they get really loose.

Because the Romeos R1s have 2 points of separations I would imagine enough force would pop the screws out, but they have been pretty indestructible as well. Ever since the R2s came out, the replacement lenses seem to be really hard to come by, at least in a nice color. Ever since then I've been babying them.

The actual X-Metal material itself I'd say is pretty darn durable, it's just everything else that requires care. Especially the lenses.

I use to throw my oldest pair of Juliets in a hiking pack totally unprotected and throw them to my partner if they would fog up during a rock climb for example. They get stowed away in my trunks when surfing, snorkling etc and they never ever rusted or gone wrong. Even the screws were fine.

Well they're titanium and stainless, so that's pretty much a given

Back