1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. stevan5150

stevan5150 Oakley Enthusiast

Does anyone here have their collection insured? If so how do I go about it?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. hearno

hearno Oakley Collector

I talked to my insurance agent the other day about it. They want pictures and receipts etc. Sounds like a lot of hassle but it's valuable enough at this point I've got to do something.

3. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

I just tried to....Called State Farm to add a "rider" to cover my collection and stereo....listed every pair I have with serials and realistic replacement costs. Took pics of every pair and of my collection as a whole. Sent everything to my agent for the underwriters to review. They came back with a big, fat NO! Said specialty items like that cannot be covered by a rider. My collection would be covered as a whole under my homeowners insurance. Basiclally, with no receipts you're screwed. PayPal history COULD possibly be an option as long as the item is in the description of paid for items......In the event of a burglary, the underwriters could "research" what similar pairs sold for and reimburse me for that much. Basically just hope to god your collection is never stolen obviously...especially the rare items....because it sounds like getting reimbursed to replace what you once had will be hard. God help the poor bastard that comes in my house when I'm home to steal my collection....as I'm quite sure most everyone here feels the same way.......

4. the_owl

the_owl Oakley Expert

Ive added mine to my HOP. For me it was pretty easy and didnt require details. Just a few photos of the collection and a blanket $40k policy. If it becomes more valuable than that, details are required.

5. djhyper66

djhyper66 Oakley Expert

look into getting a personal article policy, as for homeowners insurance, you can only schedule persoanl property like jewelry, furs, cameras, silverware, musical insturments, golf eq, stamps and fine arts, and coin collection. if you want proof of your collections in a loss, just tell your claims rep to check your oakley forum memeber profile with pictures of all the sunglasses you own, that should be proof enough!!! That what I would do.

6. O-man

O-man Oakley Beginner

It's funny because the majority of our collections are worth a lot more than some of the stuff you listed that they would cover. Golf clubs but no sunglasses?

7. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

Mine are covered with my homeowners policy.... They just needed some pics and an estimate of value.

8. Oakley Noob

Oakley Noob Oakley Beginner

What companies are you all using to home owners insurance? Which companies are the more problematic when it comes to this type of concern?

9. sharjt

sharjt Oakley Enthusiast

USAA would cover with separate Riders policy. All they require is a basic description and estimated value of each.

10. HoakleyRobb

HoakleyRobb Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

State Farm just told me no specific coverage for my collection...but it would be covered as part of the homeowners policy and subject to those deductibles. They did say they could up the overall value of the homeowner policy...hmmmm.