• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Interesting Day At Sunglass Store

kyle_2012

Oakley Beginner
So I had an interesting Oakley story I thought you guys would appreciate. Today I went in to my local sunglass shop because I wanted to buy a pair of matte black flak jackets with VR28 BIP lenses. I knew I was in luck as I saw the matte black flak frame on the shelf. I told the salesman what I wanted and he pulled out the frame and started digging through the lense drawer. Well he pulled out a regular BIP lense and I corrected him (let me say that in NO way do I consider myself an Oakley expert, but I can identify different lenses easy enough). He gave me a look like..."VR28 BIP...wtf are you talking about". He then said that lense is not made by Oakley, he never sold it, and he never intends to sell it. Well at that point I started educating him on what the lense actually is (it felt very awkward educating this guy who was suppose to be selling me the glasses) and to make matters worse, in the little lense guide display, it twice lists VR28 BIP, PLUS they use a VR28 sample lense in the OCP lense display. He continued to argue with me that BIP is what I am actually looking for. Long story short I ended up just walking out and later that day I bought a pair of flaks with shallow blue polarized instead. Does this ever happen to you guys? How do you handle it?

It's happened to me not in an Oakley setting but in At&t. It is a bit odd to have to educate the salesperson on their own product especially when it is a well known product.

Sales people that work the floor turn over pretty quick. I've had to educate employees at Oakley Vaults, gun stores, car dealers, electronics...

And there's a reason you don't see many people who can make a career out of sales, most just don't care enough.

Had to educate a guy once when I was buying a pair of frogs.. They were Shaun White's polished black with 24k Iridium and somehow the store had lost both the micro bag and original box and when I noticed that he was putting them in a black bag and random box that was a little beat up. I told him I didn't want them unless he had the originals.. he said it was the original bag/box and didn't believe me when I told him that frogskins don't come in just any old random box. Needless to say I walked out and ended up finding them somewhere else.

Sales people that work the floor turn over pretty quick. I've had to educate employees at Oakley Vaults, gun stores, car dealers, electronics...

And there's a reason you don't see many people who can make a career out of sales, most just don't care enough.

I have worked in sales for 10years...and you summed it up good with "most just don't care enough" I have been fortunate to work for some companies in which I believed in their products and have been very successful with them....if you don't care, that's when you get your a$$ handed to you by a consumer lol

I called the local vault the other day to see if they had any plasma/ice x-squared left.... I was promptly told that oakley didn't make that combination. I had the sku with me and was going to provide it but the person that answered had looked it up while we were talking and corrected herself. I understand that enthusiasts will usually know more than your average retail employee but it's just better to admit defeat and get schooled by someone that knows what they're talking about. In 2002 when the WRX first went on sale, a buddy and I went to a dealership to purchase one each. The salesman started off with the usual stuff they're trained to start off with. He was asking questions etc and going on about mpg's etc. Finally I asked him about the turbo and intercooler and whether or not it'd be a good idea to switch to a FMIC. At that point, he put his hands up (literally) and said that he'd stop bullshittin us and here's my best price cause he knew why we were there. He had the best deal around so we both bought them on the spot but even if he hadn't I'd rather give him my money than the guy that tries to pretend.

theres a whole thread about SGH! they suck!

When you walk into a SGH and note that your O collection is larger, more varied, and even in better condition than their stock, you know you're an enthusiast.

At any rate, I think the Shallow Blue lens is a better lens than VR28 BIP.

Back