• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Interesting Sunglass Observations

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
While on vacation to the hot and humid state of Florida we were at several amusement parks including a water park. I started making some interesting observations as I was doing some "sunglass watching" to keep my mind multi-tasking

Only a few % of all the sunglasses I saw were Oakley. Most were the sport models (flak and half jackets) and the larger styles....GasCan etc. I saw only 1 of the following - X-metal (Badman), Fives Squared, Jawbone, Split Jacket, Straight Jacket, Fast Jacket, and a few wire frames.

Ray-ban was about the same numbers as Oakley's, and probably and equal percentage of designer brands (tommy bahama etc....).

Over 90% were just cheapo no names brands.

The most frequent styles were aviators and (frogskin/wayfarer) styles. I estimated both these styles equaled about 70% of the sunglasses I saw. Aviators 40% Froggies 30%.

Several other interesting observations:

At the water park, that was the one place I saw the most people wearing Oakley's and in the water mind you.

A good portion of people with Oakley's I saw wearing them up on their head.

I could have easily wasted half my vacation explaining to people the negative effects of hair products and chlorine on their Oakley lenses.

Most people have no clue.

They're happy with BS sunglasses

2 people I know are going on vacation next week.

I gave them 6 pairs. 4 for him and 2 for her.

You should have seen the txt I got this morning when they tried them on compared to their old crappy **** they had.

Reason I got a txt this morning was cause I dropped them off with someone and told them to give them to them.

You should have seen the txt I got this morning when they tried them on compared to their old crappy **** they had.

Reason I got a txt this morning was cause I dropped them off with someone and told them to give them to them.
Jayzus... Can you have someone drop me off on vacation?

I stopped at a Turkey Hill (convenience store chain) this past weekend to get a bottle of water on a ride, my Radars sticking out the top of my helmet vents, and there was a guy and a girl looking at the new "Pugz" sunglasses tower display near the door. He must have been talking about my Radars after I passed because he said to her "You don't need those expensive things, these provide exactly the same protection and the most expensive pair I see is 19 bucks."

Since he wasn't talking directly to me and I hate people I just ignored them. But I did think to myself "How much time do you have today, dude...I'll educate you if you like."

I was at SeaWorld in San Antonio this summer and LARGE percentage of sunglasses I saw were Oakleys. I assume that it's because of all the bases nearby.

Interesting and relatively equal to my not-so-rigorous observations.
The proliferation of dollar store shades makes me want to recommend ophthalmology/optometry to students looking toward their future.
Yes I think there will be a need for more in the coming years
Jayzus... Can you have someone drop me off on vacation?
Yeah I'll take some scaps too if your feeling generous.

I hope they appreciated your generousity

I stopped at a Turkey Hill (convenience store chain) this past weekend to get a bottle of water on a ride, my Radars sticking out the top of my helmet vents, and there was a guy and a girl looking at the new "Pugz" sunglasses tower display near the door. He must have been talking about my Radars after I passed because he said to her "You don't need those expensive things, these provide exactly the same protection and the most expensive pair I see is 19 bucks."

Since he wasn't talking directly to me and I hate people I just ignored them. But I did think to myself "How much time do you have today, dude...I'll educate you if you like."
You must be feeling good today. I would have expected this story to end in a melee......lol

She was probably checking out a real man vs the Pugz wearing wannabe sissy she was with.

Sorry Frank, I'm too gealous to like this :crazy:

Alternatively, there are people who are fixated on that price-point and will go the distance to pretend they own Oakley's by consciously buying fakes.

At this point I don't see the need to invest time in judging people in their material choices/views. If they like the same stuff (such as all of us in this forum), it's worthwhile discussion, but if someone's just trying to make it a contest or something...meh. The fact they self-generated or accepted a wrong opinion in the first place and are so adamant about it probably attributes to what they simply want to think, but never care to learn more about — and from there, it's not really wise to give them a breath or time of day.

Call me a snob, but when someone has that kind of resentment, I'll sometimes just make whatever it is a bit more apparent. I mean it's so bothersome they just can't keep it to themselves or have more important things think about. Amazing.

But then on the other end of the spectrum, there are some things that are legit stupid that are just asking to be called out.

Back