• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

International Shipping Question

Ducman

Oakley Enthusiast
SoCal
I have a very motivated buyer on one of my Jordan R1's. Only thing is the buyer is from Turkey, what necessary steps should I take base on you guys/gals experience. I had not dealt internationally and would like suggestions. if they pay with paypal am I protected as a seller .

Yes, you will have seller protection with PayPal - both you and the buyer should be wanting to opt for "goods and services" rather than F&F though for protection on both sides. Don't worry that it won't be a confirmed address on PayPal, they can only do that for US, UK and Canadian addresses.

Do insist on at least a postal service with delivery confirmation, some of the postal services around the Med are a bit...flaky, shall we say. Bear in mind that some services that offer what is touted as tracking only offer it to one border and then final delivery confirmation, which means you can both be in the dark for weeks as to where a package is - if you can get proper step-by-step tracking it gives much more peace of mind.

Ultimately insurance is up to the buyer, but I would be recommending they take it and make it very clear you have no liability for greater loss if they ask you to declare a lower value on the customs certificate. Which practice is not entirely on the straight and narrow itself, but it does go on all the time - custom charges can add around 25% to the cost of the item, so make the buyer aware that can happen and that you won't be liable.

And I wouldn't recommend using the International postage service built into eBay for any US sellers - far too many "partners" and hand offs involved, none of which are best in breed in my experience. I had a BNIB IH Juliet lifted somewhere along the supply chain going that route, and though I got my refund, someone clearly lost out.

Might sound a bit daunting but think how many of these go through without a hitch every day - just take a few precautions and you'll be fine.

Back