• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Introducing OakleyExchange.com

OakleyBoss

Staff member
Premium Member
Administrator
USA
So the exchange area on OakleyForum.com has become a huge hit, however a long with every successful comes its downfalls. The largest issue with the exchange areas is the lack of protection for Oakley Forum members. Protection and safety is always an issue when dealing with thousands of dollars in sunglasses and other items. Although this risk is minimized when you are dealing with someone you know, because of the ability to hide behind a username and the high growth this site experiences, it is still a risky proposition.

Many members however prefer to sell items on Oakley Forum for 2 reasons. The first being they know they glasses are going to someone who will enjoy them and loves Oakleys. Second, the fees charges by auction sites such as Ebay are extremely high, usually in the ballpark of 10% commission plus 3% Paypal fees.

After hearing many stories of member being ripped off on here from untrusted and even trusted members, I decided to do something!

This marks the launch of OakleyExchange.com

OakleyExchange.com is a Marketplace for all things Oakley! And only Oakley!

You can join OakleyExchange.com by Register Here

Here are the major differences that separate OakleyExchange.com from Oakley Forum's Exchange areas and Ebay:

• Payments are sent through Paypal, so both buyer and seller are protected throughout the transaction
  • OakleyExchange.com only collects a 0% commission compared to ebay's 10%(All you pay is Paypal Fees!).
  • OakleyExchange.com charges NO listing fee for Auctions or Buy It Now's!
  • Sister site of OakleyForum.com, so it can be trusted!

So go check out the site! Right now there is nothing for sale, so the site looks a little bare bones, but once members post items it will feel more and more homey :).

Since there is no listing fee, and you can pull a listing at any time, there is no reason not to post for sale items on the site!

Check it out today: OakleyExchange.com

If this indeed means an end to the exchange section of the forums; If not disregard.

I see no benefit to this over using the forum, except the listing is stored to help settle paypal disputes. But the forum history can be tracked to provide the same information.

I can't say I'm thrilled. To be frank this feels more like a way to add revenue than to protect members. It kills the personality of the forums, members helping others with payment plans, open discussion to answer questions, much easier to gauge the legitimacy of a member based on posts, responses, pictures, etc.

A few bad apples have spoiled things, but I'm not sure I agree with moving all transactions to a different site with different logins.

If this indeed means an end to the exchange section of the forums; If not disregard.

I see no benefit to this over using the forum, except the listing is stored to help settle paypal disputes. But the forum history can be tracked to provide the same information.

I can't say I'm thrilled. To be frank this feels more like a way to add revenue than to protect members. It kills the personality of the forums, members helping others with payment plans, open discussion to answer questions, much easier to gauge the legitimacy of a member based on posts, responses, pictures, etc.

A few bad apples have spoiled things, but I'm not sure I agree with moving all transactions to a different site with different logins.

strongly agree, took the words out of my mouth, don't get me wrong its not totally a bad thing but, why should i have to go through that site to buy stuff, when i do my background check and i take the chance its my money...

I'm on board with Ruspot. If the exchange forums are removed and I still have to pay a fee to sell, I'm going to go to eBay because at least i'll have a larger audience than here. I think one of the reasons people come here is to sell, like it or not, and if you take that away, people will just go elsewhere and then you'll have no one on either site.

To answer some questions. 1) We are offering 0% commission for Novemeber(and possibly longer). All you pay is Paypal fees.

Will the exchange areas of the forums be going away?
No the Exchange areas are going NOWHERE! However they may get stricter requirements, such as a higher post count. The reason being, OakleyExchange.com is meant to take the riskier trades that have been occurring between members with low posts/no feedback and give them a platform with protection. The higher post count will encourage more trusted members to use the exchange areas, but encourage newer members to use OakleyExchange.com. In the past the requirements have been low(10 posts) because there was very little alternative. Now there is an alternative!

will premium members here have certain privileges there?
As of right now, no. However the site is just getting its feet on the ground, so we will see in the future.

protection through paypal only?
Yes protection is currently offered through paypal, same as with most other auction sites such as ebay.

strongly agree, took the words out of my mouth, don't get me wrong its not totally a bad thing but, why should i have to go through that site to buy stuff, when i do my background check and i take the chance its my money...

You said it pefectly! You don't have to go there, but you are taking a chance with your money. If you are fine taking a chance with your money, you can perform exchanges with any members you like, however many members take that chance then message mods looking for them to get their $300 juliets back after the deal goes bad. The reason OakleyExchange.com was made was to offer a platform for members to perform exchanges in a secure/safe environment, and ensure exchanges had the protection of Paypal!

Back