• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium Imperfections

s3sunruh

Oakley Expert
Casper WY
Anyone have lenses with weird or interesting coatings that aren't even? One thing I have noticed with my radarlocks (which I love nonetheless) is that my jade lens has an odd coloration. It is very green on one half of the lens, and the edge is purple (like jade tends to be), but the other side doesn't have near as much green. It is mostly purple actually.

This is really the first time I've had a color sunburst be off center.

My fire iridium jawbone lenses are 96% red and 4% yellow. its like ruby iridium instead of fire. Thats a little off considering i also have polarized fire that i "stole" off a friend (borrowed until he moved and forgot) that is actually like 24k

tumblr_mhvsn80XHR1rbptugo1_500.jpg

This angle is to show the green side
where the below is to show the violet side
tumblr_mhvsp5s1Bf1rbptugo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mhvsgf6ooY1rbptugo1_500.jpg

It's not the best camera angle but I really tried to get where the violet starts. On that edge there is virtually no green whereas the other side has much more.

Beautiful lens and I do see what you mean. Hmmmm. It is strange but kinda cool.

It may be possible to ask for a replacement lens as it isn't perfect so to speak. The process of iridium coating at the plant is pretty cool a d they are super careful but mistakes do happen.

And I honestly have nothing at all wrong with the lens color here. I love the purple hues that really pop in this particular lens. But it might be worth an email to Oakley anyway. :wink:

update: being the annoying person I can be when it comes to customer service and quality, I have sent an email just to inform them of this mishap. Curious to see what they say.

more update: Well..... I suppose because they were purchased from someone that wasn't oakley, it doesn't qualify for a lens replacement. Oh well. I tried! Still a fantastic set of shades.

Back