• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Irritated With Through Bolts

• Thread starter greenjersey
  • Start date
G

greenjersey

Does anyone have any tip/tricks on removing the (jawbone) through bolts? I know what tool to use and how to do it (I've done it in the past on previous glasses), however, no matter how much opposite pressure I put on the bolt, the whole bolt just spins around in the jaw and doesn't loosen up/come off. Starting to irritate me because I can't change out my bolts. It's like they were torqued in too much from the factory (never changed them out yet) and won't even give a little. And I already scratched one of the bolts (chrome.. awesome) on my echelon jawbones. Thanks guys and girls!

You're definitely cross-threaded. It's brutal because there's no way to "grab" onto the front part. If you find something rubbery to push against it will help grip it a bit, but I've had to drill a couple out which is definitely not ideal. Crappy that it's the chrome as that's not an easy bolt color to find.

Maybe if they came cross-threaded from Oakley they would do something for you (ie send you chrome bolts). If they weren't cross-threaded you'd have no problem getting them out regardless of how tight they were.

Yeah it's completely lame. I've tried rubber bits to push it against, and even went as far as duct tape thinking that would be "sticky" enough to create resistance, nope. Just spun right in the duct tape. Brutal man, brutal.

You can try it with a gap opener between the jaw and frame to bring some pressure on the bolt and nut.

Thanks for the advice! It will come off one way or another!

Sorry to say, most of them don't come or become "Cross-threaded"...what happens is, most are just over tightened, and when you attempt to loosen them, they strip the 1mm of grab the actual plastic jaw has on the head of the bolt. Sadly, there is no cure unless Oakley were to get smart and either use a nylon or O Matter based bolt instead, or insert a small metal sleeve into the outer portion to actually give better bite. You have to be creative to remove them once they are screwed up, and advice, pliers isn't a good way at all.

Back