• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is 2012 The Year For Oakley To Get Back On Track?

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
With the awesome releases so far this year: Bottle Rocket, Crankcase, Crosshair, Deviation, Half Jacket 2.0, OCP Frogskins, New Twenty and Radarlock is this the year that Oakley gets back to their roots? As far as releases go, 2012 seems like the best year for Oakley in a long time.

With Beyond Reason and Oakley Five, seems like Oakley is getting back on track.

I haven't been impressed by any of the designs this year. Most are re-designs of old models, or their new "design du jour" of putting holes in ear-stems.

So my answer would have to be 'no'.

In fact, I am getting very much disheartened by recent Oakley output.
As I mentioned in another thread, it was my birthday recently and some of my family/friends very kindly gave me cash gifts so I could buy some sunglasses. I still have every penny of this, as there is simply nothing that I want from the current range. It seems that either (a) I am stuck in another Oakley rut; or (b) Oakley is stuck in a design rut.

Either way, sorry to bring a downer on your enthusiasm - but no, I am not happy with Oakley's 2012 sunglass product line, whatsoever.

But then, I wasn't happy with 2011 either.

Last year, I didn't buy any new product, only older products like Radar and Flak, but this year I've gotten Crankcase, so +1 for me so far. I did get Holbrook Chrome/Clear last year, but sold it. And I plan to get Radar Locks and Half Jacket 2.0.

I'm happier with the choice of Frogskins output this year but there's still a lot of improvement needed as far as I'm concerned on that front.

As for generally, I think Oakley has way too many models, let alone colour options within each model line. There's got to be close to 80 different models. I'd say Oakley need to actually cut back and start to focus a bit more. I don't know their business numbers but that seems like way too many fingers in too many pies, particularly in this economic climate. Quality not quantity.

I'm with Herbs on this one, nothing is risky and it's pretty bland, I don't think any of those models (bar the frogs) would achieve cult status like past models have. I'd gladly indulge in some new HJs or a Crankcase but I would never go pokemon on them and try to "catch em' all"

I'm happier with the choice of Frogskins output this year but there's still a lot of improvement needed as far as I'm concerned on that front.

As for generally, I think Oakley has way too many models, let alone colour options within each model line. There's got to be close to 80 different models. I'd say Oakley need to actually cut back and start to focus a bit more. I don't know their business numbers but that seems like way too many fingers in too many pies, particularly in this economic climate. Quality not quantity.

I agree. They need to cut down on all those never-ending Frogskin releases. haha

I mean how many colours must there be left unused?
Perhaps we'll only know the answer to that when Oakley finally hold their hands up and have to release the Supreme Limited Invisible Edition.

:laugh:

I like the new Twenty, but the old Twenty XX were one of my all-time favorites and have been looking forward to a re-release. The differences are subtle enough and it seems to fit me even better than the old ones.

I'm also very happy with my Radar Lock Path. I only wish they had made it 100% compatible with the regular Radar Path lenses (the old lenses kind of work in the new lock frame, but it's not a perfect fit still).

I'm with Rustpot on the whole 'Lock' business.

There was nothing at all wrong with the M-Frame system.
Easy to swap lenses in and out.
Plus I really MTB'd the living sh1t out of my M-Frames and NEVER had a problem with them.

The lock is just an unnecessary addition of weight to a sports frame (that you want to be really light).

Latest Posts

Back