• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is Over The Top A Must For A Collector?

Make sure you see one in person before you buy. It wasn't what I expected.

True dat.

I picked up my pair years ago in a Vault for £60, kept them pretty much unworn for a few years, then sold them.
They are an oddity, a piece of Oakley design history, and look good on display. Are they essential in a collection? That depends on the collector. I say no, because I have no shelf whore pairs now.

Other collectors are all about the displays, so would answer differently.

I'm glad I once owned a pair, but would not buy another. Especially not at the crazy prices they fetch these days.

Why you say that? am I going to be disappointed? I haven't seen one in person and I think its impossible for me to see that in person.

I think it depends on whether you consider yourself a "collector" or just someone who owns a number of Oakley sunglasses to wear.

If you collect, I'd consider the OTT a collectable piece simply because of what it represents as part of Oakley history.

If you're like me and you buy your Oakleys to actually wear, then you might want to think twice about spending your hard-earned money on a pair. The OTT is not something many people can wear without looking ridiculous... so for me, as cool as they are, they just aren't worth it.

I'm really more of an "accumulator" than a collector. I own quite a few Oakleys but I don't display them and I wear all of them at one time or another. I take care of them, but I don't baby them. When they wear out, I replace them.

If it's important to you to own a landmark Oakley design, then buy a pair. But if you buy your Oakleys to wear, I'd say your money is probably better spent on a design that looks good on you and that you can actually get some use out of.

Just my $0.02

Does anyone of you guys who owns it and can wear it outdoors?

I've worn mine a couple of times, but be prepared for stares, giggles and some finger pointing. Because they defy the normal perception of what people understand a pair of sunglasses to look like and also being way ahead of their time are misunderstood by many.

If like me you don't give a flying eff, then wear them proudly and stand out from the crowd.

And don't forget that they have a tendency to steam up.

Oh, and they need adjusting on your face all the time, as they shift upwards whenever you smile or make any facial movement.
Impractical then. But look nice on display!

I think its a must have, but only for the right price, my first one cost me $75 and it was bag, box, and everything else, and my 2nd was free. So ive been lucky. But for the right price Id say its a must have for any collector

...Oh, and they need adjusting on your face all the time, as they shift upwards whenever you smile or make any facial movement...

it's true! otherwise you'll never lost it from your head (wakeboard, bungee). I think must have, this a part of Oakley history.

Depends on your collection really. The bulk of my display stuff is made up of releases from the Mad Science period - x-metals, magnesium and the unusual O-Matter releases. The OTT's are a prime example of that for me so from that point of view they are a 'must'. Others with collections of a different focus will no doubt be more indifferent to them.

OTTs are not your typical pair, i wore them a couple of times and they look cool! if you plan to wear them and attract attention to yourself then buy them, if not then maybe buy some pairs you could wear everyday.... i bought them before because i found them interesting... buy them, enjoy them, wear them and then if you get tired sell them later bro! anyway i still have the "box thing" we talked about, lol, ill do it tomorrow!

Latest Posts

Back