• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is there much variation with Ice Iridium?

Ben G

Oakley Expert
Essex, UK
I know there is a well documented variation in Ruby lenses, old & new +red, but is there with Ice?

Basically I have 3 Penny's and 1 Juliet that have ice lenses, but 1 pair of the Pennies lenses are blatantly lighter. The serial on the frame they came in had the PI serial & all the unobtainium was original and I can't notice any difference through them, but I wanted to check whether this is common or these could be aftermarket?

I've fitted one of each in my polished frames (with linegear rubber) for comparison..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's funny as the lighter set does kinda look like sapphire, though I plan on getting some cut for these frames anyway :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Generally Ice is pretty consistent. I do have one set of Juliet Ice polar that's a little more richer blue than normal, though, so I guess it's not unheard of. Haven't seen that big of a variance before, though.

Hmm, might be aftermarket then? My other theory (although clutching at straws here) is that this lighter pair came from Spain and the bridge was very loose, so I'm assume spent a lot of time in direct sunlight, could that fade out the Irridium? Though the various photos of the guys from the hotter US states & Oz I see on here suggests that doesn't really happen, lol

I've never heard of iridium fading.

Since Oakley doesn't make any markings on lenses to distinguish OEM from aftermarket, it can be hard to tell sometimes. One common comparison is to look at the lens thickness; aftermarkets are often thinner. Also compare the base tint; is it the same grey?

That really does look like Sapphire.. Which looks likes the older Water lens from the Revo products....
Cool looking lenses

I've just had a look at my gen1 juliets and if anything they are closer to the lighter shade that you have.
Not quite as washed out looking but nowhere near as blue as the darker lens you have.

Hmm, even more confusing then, lol. It's not a major thing, I'm just intrigued, the more you know and all that :)

I measured the lenses and they both appear to be an identical thickness (1.6mm and the 'fat' end, 1.3mm at the 'thin' end) and although looking through them whilst wearing didn't yield much difference (they both look like the same grey base to my eyes) when held up to the light, there does appear a slight difference..

(The lighter one is in the frame)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ah well, it's a little oakley mystery :)

I'd say you are good, the fact they have two different tapered edge thickness that match OEM would make me believe they have the same XYZ optics and are most likely OEM. I haven't seen any Ice that color either, but I don't have any first gen X-metals with Ice...