• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Is YOUR Oakley A Throwback Company?

Is YOUR Oakley a throwback company?

• Yes, retro throwbacks for the win!

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No, my Oakley is a forward thinker.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Bacon.

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

nlgrav182

Oakley Expert
I see the phrase "retro throwback" and derivatives thereof being tossed around here lately, especially with pairs like the Garage Rock, Holbrook, and Frogskins for sale. Did you ever/do you think of Oakley as a throwback company?

No, always looking forward. Not that things like re-releases of the classics are bad. But current fashion demands are for these big, flat, retro styled hipstery glasses.

I don't blame them for making them and all of the other stuff to try and really grow, but it feels like the fans from 10+ years ago are being abandoned

i hink this new line of "retro throwback" is bullshit excuse of manufacturing mass **** no styling sunglasses and calling em retro. sorry but big taco etc is a big POS in my book.

wheres the innovation and purpose beyond reason.

actually, they just took the purpose beyond reason to a new level- purpose of mass production beyond traditional reasoning.

ugh someones head should roll at HQ for this line

Totally in agreement From the Splice to the Big Taco?????the past few years have not been good really since the Flak

Just my opinion ------ I can't really tell the difference between the Frogs, Holbrook,. I mean I know there is but come on. Feel bad about Collectors of the Frogs, so many different kinds. Different paint, different day. They are fazing out the Gascans which alot of people liked, but what is the replacement or new version, (Fuel Cell, Crankcase, and I know there are one or two others that all look extremely similar). Too many are too similar. Stick with something and be more creative with them. I cannot stand Shawn White in general, That is how our society is growing up and thinking, but, He sells so they cater to what he wants so that is the style for everyone now. They get a big hit on Frogs, so change the lens shape and add square lenses and cola new bestseller. Just rambling now. Bring something new or creative back to the table or we are going to break the bank with buying and selling only vintage items soon.

Bacon haha awesome.

Oakley needs to get back to becoming a forward thinker they are innovators. Look at how many crappy companies blatently copy their styles.

The thinkers and innovators like Jim Jannard are no longer running the show there. We obviously see that there is an issue with this. I believe it's all about the money now. What will people buy..... If a top dollar celebrity wears it then someone will want it, whether it was in a movie or on an interview. They will make some low cost frame combo and sell it for big money. No more making exciting, and awesome looking frames, is what it has come down too. A very good example is there shoe line. I could damn well see the resemblance between some of the shoes they have been manufacturing today to what can be purchased in a dollar store. Only the Military/Law Enforcement boots are worthy enough to be sold IMO.

Unless the new metal line is anything beyond reason, then we will see a lot more failures in innovative eyewear for the future. We really have to consider that there are people out there that could never change half jacket lenses, so what did Oakley do????? Made Fast Jacket, and Radar Locks.

Maybe I am ranting but if they do make something new and exciting I hope it doesn't end up as an MPH or on a buy 3 site.

Back