• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

"J" ... The New REAL Oakley?

I find it extremely unlikely he'd get back into sunglasses, or start another sunglasses company. IMHO he's not really the type to repeat himself. If this is still going anywhere I'd bet it's something new.

Nobodies sure, but straight from the Trademark Applictation:

Classification Statement: Eyewear, namely, spectacles, prescription eyewear, anti glare glasses and sunglasses and their parts and accessories, namely, replacement lenses, frames, earstems, and nose pieces; cases specially adapted for spectacles and sunglasses and parts thereof

No reason to start the trademark J , include specifically naming eyewear, clothing, footwear, and WATCHES!!, if he has indeed moved on. We all have to wait for the formal announcement. This might be HUGE.

For those not super familiar with the intricacies of trademark law - the last line item is a 4/26. It's for an required SOU, which stands for statement of use. Trademark was codified to protect consumers and thus requires the marks to actually used in commerce before they're officially granted and are no longer provisional.

Given the timing of the announcement, the existence of this mark application, I would not be surprised to see the "J" get unveiled which will give grounds to finalize as it will actually be in use.

Interesting stuff.. time will tell, but color me super excited.

Nobodies sure, but straight from the Trademark Applictation:

Classification Statement: Eyewear, namely, spectacles, prescription eyewear, anti glare glasses and sunglasses and their parts and accessories, namely, replacement lenses, frames, earstems, and nose pieces; cases specially adapted for spectacles and sunglasses and parts thereof

No reason to start the trademark J , include specifically naming eyewear, clothing, footwear, and WATCHES!!, if he has indeed moved on. We all have to wait for the formal announcement. This might be HUGE.

I hadn't followed the trademark link earlier. And yes, that is interesting; it'd be nice if it's related.

I'm just trying to add some perspective - we're seeing this through Oakley-fanatic eyes, bemoaning what Lux has done to the company.

The trademark application and his statement aren't necessarily linked. They could be completely unrelated. Note that the trademark was applied for almost a year ago. There's the possibility wishful thinking is trying to make a connection between the two. And lots of trademark applications are just placeholders, end up resulting in nothing.

Then Jim's statement included the line "This is the single most important thing I have ever worked on or been involved with." Does revisiting / repeating past accomplishments really fit that description?

Take a person who's lifetime pattern of behavior has been to be creative, innovative, come up with new things and do what has been said can't be done. As he did at Oakley and Red. And his comments about the release of Frogskins, a takeoff of the Wayfarer...

With that in mind, which explanation better holds up to Occam's Razor - that this statement is meant to lead to something new, or a repeat of what he's done before?

Like I said, it'd be nice, and really all any of us are doing at this point is speculating. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I hadn't followed the trademark link earlier. And yes, that is interesting; it'd be nice if it's related.

I'm just trying to add some perspective - we're seeing this through Oakley-fanatic eyes, bemoaning what Lux has done to the company.

The trademark application and his statement aren't necessarily linked. They could be completely unrelated. Note that the patent was applied for almost a year ago. There's the possibility wishful thinking is trying to make a connection between the two. And lots of trademark applications are just placeholders, end up resulting in nothing.

Then Jim's statement included the line "This is the single most important thing I have ever worked on or been involved with." Does revisiting / repeating past accomplishments really fit that description?

Take a person who's lifetime pattern of behavior has been to be creative, innovative, come up with new things and do what has been said can't be done. As he did at Oakley and Red. And his comments about the release of Frogskins, a takeoff of the Wayfarer...

With that in mind, which explanation better holds up to Occam's Razor - that this statement is meant to lead to something new, or a repeat of what he's done before?

Like I said, it'd be nice, and really all any of us are doing at this point is speculating. Time will tell.
Well said. Very good points. We can dream though.... ;)

So, since we're speculating here, how about some ideas of what this could be if it isn't Oakley V2.0?

Here's a wild one - after making denials about broad topics like world peace, energy, time travel, and saving wildlife, he throws out a couple of stabs against the specific topics of VR and AR. Then he infers that this will change everything, be for everyone, and is the most important piece of work in his life.

What do VR and AR have in common? They're attempts to merge human senses with technology in a way that changes reality. What else could do that that's completely beyond VR and AR?

How about a neural lace?

Sure, that's WAY out there, but is it really so far off, regarding technological feasibility? Google "neural lace" and see what the results are. And then there was the whole "Elon Musk" reference...

@jim jannard you still dropping by here now and then?

So, since we're speculating here, how about some ideas of what this could be if it isn't Oakley V2.0?

Here's a wild one - after making denials about broad topics like world peace, energy, time travel, and saving wildlife, he throws out a couple of stabs against the specific topics of VR and AR. Then he infers that this will change everything, be for everyone, and is the most important piece of work in his life.

What do VR and AR have in common? They're attempts to merge human senses with technology in a way that changes reality. What else could do that that's completely beyond VR and AR?

How about a neural lace?

Sure, that's WAY out there, but is it really so far off, regarding technological feasibility? Google "neural lace" and see what the results are. And then there was the whole "Elon Musk" reference...

@jim jannard you still dropping by here now and then?
Holographic tech

Back