• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Japanese Anime

Love sub:) hate dubbed :(
Seems a common attitude but a lot of the official subs I have seen have been terrible translations of what's actually being said, so it's a form of snobbery that doesn't really work. The localisation firms often do a better job of localising the script for the dub than the sub.

Seems a common attitude but a lot of the official subs I have seen have been terrible translations of what's actually being said, so it's a form of snobbery that doesn't really work. The localisation firms often do a better job of localising the script for the dub than the sub.
Dub makes me feel like Im watching a cheesy version of a Bruce Lee movie or worse yet... An early Jackie Chan like Drunken Master.

It really shouldn't, there are perfectly good VAs working on dubbed anime. It's just a prejudice really; like I say, many of the sub translations are bad. In some cases, they are plain wrong.

And if you're talking about sync to mouth flaps, you can't have watched a dub in about 10 years. They match very well now.

I thought I posted in this thread a long time ago but I guess not. I first started watching anime with a friend of mine. He was big into Dragonball Z and I hated it. Somewhere down the line he started watching Baki The Grappler. I really liked it and eventually bought the box set. I'm still not huge into anime but some of my favorites have been both versions of Hellsing, Bleach, and the movie Howl's Moving Castle. I also watched some Ghost In The Shell and a number of other short series anime.

For me I think the hardest part of anime is trying to find something out there that isn't the same tired old story line, or something that isn't so hugely popular that the hype is better than the actual show.

Back