• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jawbone Bolts Not Sitting Flush?

Ventruck

I am Jim Jannard...
Picked up a used Jawbone frame earlier (04-203j). All is well but I can't figure out why the bolts aren't flush - like they're too thick. I can't find any examples via google search that look like this.

photo1.jpg

Was about to wave a flag for fake but:
-came with a legit case, persimmon lenses, and extra Asian fit nose pads.
-takes legit Jawbone lenses
-locking arms and same feeling action for the lens and nose pad swap
-the unobtanium feels like unobtanium
-molding marks are identical, including the "O" logos at the corners of the jaws
-emblems are the legit shape
-there's the rubber inserts inside the upper orbitals
-flexes and fits the same exact way
-looking at fake versions of the same serial number, they didn't include the "J" on their stamp and had red earsocks with non-metallic icons
-it even smells like a Jawbone

I mean this would be one damn good fake that I'd have to applaud it. 99.99% sure it's real. The torx ends have the same finish, but not quite identical to my pair I got straight from the Vault. Did some Jawbones just come like this?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 397
My guess is that the previous owner took the bolts out and didn't correctly reinstall. If the cap piece isn't seated correctly, it can pop out a bit like in your picture. Loosen the bolt and give the cap a bit of a turn to make sure it sits down into the hole of the jaw piece. You may also need to realign the jaw with the frame; the bolt may not be able to completely pass through if the jaw/frame aren't correctly aligned.

Check the threading on the bolt too; damaged bolts won't properly tighten down all the way, which could also cause your problem. Also, try swapping out another thru-bolt, and see if you get the same issue; at least you will know if it's the bolt or the jaw/frame causing the issue.

Last edited:
Tried removing the bolts. Got an immediate indexing feel (that slip). I can't seem to push the caps any further inward either. Interestingly the threads of the cap go as deep as my other pair.

Got these for real cheap (as in, so cheap that buying replacement jaws+bolts would at least double my cost), and maybe this was the reason. Nonetheless jaws aren't loose yet smooth, and there's already imperfections from use. Guess I have a legit beater pair. Thanks for the input though.

Back