• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jawbone Or Radar For Biking?

del518

I have a few pair.....
Upstate New York
Since I got my new bike....I have been hitting the trails by my house religiously. I do not have many (or any) Oakleys that I am willing to take on the trails with me right now. I have either used a pair of Adidas frames (similar to Radars) or a pair of Wiley X photochromic lenses (full frame) that I use on my Harley.

Here is my question..which do YOU prefer when on your bike? I am going to be buying a pair and I am just curious as to what your experiences have been. Is their a different frame I should also be considering? Again....this is not a frame of what should I buy. I am just looking for your own feedback while on your bike (road or mountain).

I wear jawbones, however they can be prone to fogging in some weather conditions (when it is quite cold) when you stop at traffic lights. I use vented lenses and they don't fog while you are moving.

The radar locks look good, I do like that you get an alternate lens with them.

The colour selection is a little limited hopefully they will be added to the custom program soon, although the silver does look cool.

I also noticed that the Oakley website now includes radar lock replacement lenses.

Vented Jawbones for me. I ride 3 days/week all year long.
Sometimes I get out the split Jackets because they have super dark lenses, but the Jawbone is great for slow climbs on cold days and 35mph singletrack bombs

Another to consider is the M-frame. I used them a lot when I was biking and I really liked it. But they did get foggy if it was cold out. I did use my jawbones a couple of times but preferred the M-frames. I do have a pair of radars but I'm to scared to take them out on a bike ride since they are my echleon ones. But I do think the M-frame and radar would be very similar on a bike ride. My radars are vented so they don't get foggy unlike my M-frames.

I find Jawbones don't suit road riding, they really reduce peripheral vision up to the point that I find them dangerous for use on the road. But they have great eye coverage which is good for trail riding. Radars are much more versatile pair of glasses. But if you only do trail riding without trafiic, then Jawbones are worth trying.

Back