• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jordan Romeo 1 Questions: How Many Produced? And Current Market Value?

At the time, Jordan was on oakleys board of directors. I don't think it was an endorsement as much as him just wearing what he like. He even had a hand helping design the mars.

Thank you sir Brip for the knowledge, ok the reason why I created this thread is because I'm trying to find some kind of justification to spend the extra money for a pair of Jordan R1. Considering I'm going to shell out $400-$500 for a R1 nowadays, I just want to know if the at least extra $200 for a Jordan R1 is justifiable. Now I'm not trying to devalue or depreciate anyone's Jordan R1 but for me personally the Jordan R1 is basically a X Metal/BI pair with red earsocks and 4 digit serials. I guess aesthetically speaking there's nothing special to it, the red earsocks can easily be bought on EBay and the 4 digit serial is not that important to me. I can basically put red aftermarket earsocks on a X Metal/BI pair and call it a Jordan and you won't even know, you guys get me drift?

Now, if Oakley really wanted this pair to be unique and special, then they should have made the frame a different finish. For me, a Carbon frame with red earsocks and BI would have been a ideal design, similar to Ducati colors, heck if they wanted to take this a step further they could put 1st Ruby's to make it really pop and one of a kind. Now I'm not a Chicago Bulls fan but if I'm not mistaken, the Bulls colors are black and red, so a Carbon frame with red earsocks and BI or RI would have captured the Bulls colors and would be a perfect tie-in to Jordan and the Bulls. It would have looked sick IMHO and yes I definitely would not have any problem shelling out the extra $200 or so for that pair, and more importantly it would have undoubtedly be THE Jordan R1. But obviously that didn't happen, so as it stands, I have a hard time entertaining the thought of shelling out an extra couple hundred dollars for a R1 who aesthetics wise, is not much different as its standard release sibling.

While we're still on the subject, I read somewhere a long time a go that MJ was a one time board member of Oakley and his Airness himself had some input in the design of the Mars? Can someone confirm? I swear I remember reading this somewhere awhile back, just can't remember where I read it from, and yes I don't mind if Lebron would be the poster child for the new X Metal line. Ok I will say that I'm a basketball fan but not a Heat fan, with said, Lebron has been on beast mode this season and the numbers he has been putting up are just phenomenal. Like him or hate him, but for sure stats and numbers don't lie.

They didn't end at 5000 I have number 6991 and saw one recently starting with a 7.

the term "jordan" romeo was coined later on. as far as im aware, the inital run of 4 digit serial romeos came with red earsocks etc and the tie was made to MJ's pair since he possessed the 0023 serial with red rubbers too.

in todays terms, a true "jordan" romeo (if theres such a thing" is one with 4 digit serial and red rubbers. since red rubbers can be swapped the serial is a better proxy.

Pretty sure the 4-digit serials DIDNT last to 9999... i think the 5000ish figure is based on what serials we have seen, but i believe once they realised the popularity and higher than expected sales, the extra digits were added (so 2 extra zeros at the start) to allow for a much greater production figure. the interesting thing is to know if they restarted the serials when they swithed to 6-digit- so will there be a rather desireable "000023" out there? or was it 5000, then 005001 (if the 4-digit initial run ended exactly at 5000)

so question answered- any 4 digit serial is an initial run romeo, and as such you can claim it to be "Jordan" since no record was kept as to how long the red rubbers lasted (some later 4 digits came with black rubbers)

The reason Oakley didn't produce the R1 at that time in carbon/ruby to make it totally unique is because it was totally unique in the x metal /black form at that time,it is only the number produced that has made these initial run examples less visibly outstanding.A four digit serialized Romeo will always command a premium,if you don't think its worthwhile then just go for the 6 digit serial version,I like Razorwire acquired mine a considerably less than market value, purely by accident.Would I pay a grand for a Jordan - no probably not , is it special to own , yes it is.

Thank you sir Brip for the knowledge, ok the reason why I created this thread is because I'm trying to find some kind of justification to spend the extra money for a pair of Jordan R1. Considering I'm going to shell out $400-$500 for a R1 nowadays, I just want to know if the at least extra $200 for a Jordan R1 is justifiable. Now I'm not trying to devalue or depreciate anyone's Jordan R1 but for me personally the Jordan R1 is basically a X Metal/BI pair with red earsocks and 4 digit serials. I guess aesthetically speaking there's nothing special to it, the red earsocks can easily be bought on EBay and the 4 digit serial is not that important to me. I can basically put red aftermarket earsocks on a X Metal/BI pair and call it a Jordan and you won't even know, you guys get me drift?

Now, if Oakley really wanted this pair to be unique and special, then they should have made the frame a different finish. For me, a Carbon frame with red earsocks and BI would have been a ideal design, similar to Ducati colors, heck if they wanted to take this a step further they could put 1st Ruby's to make it really pop and one of a kind. Now I'm not a Chicago Bulls fan but if I'm not mistaken, the Bulls colors are black and red, so a Carbon frame with red earsocks and BI or RI would have captured the Bulls colors and would be a perfect tie-in to Jordan and the Bulls. It would have looked sick IMHO and yes I definitely would not have any problem shelling out the extra $200 or so for that pair, and more importantly it would have undoubtedly be THE Jordan R1. But obviously that didn't happen, so as it stands, I have a hard time entertaining the thought of shelling out an extra couple hundred dollars for a R1 who aesthetics wise, is not much different as its standard release sibling.

While we're still on the subject, I read somewhere a long time a go that MJ was a one time board member of Oakley and his Airness himself had some input in the design of the Mars? Can someone confirm? I swear I remember reading this somewhere awhile back, just can't remember where I read it from, and yes I don't mind if Lebron would be the poster child for the new X Metal line. Ok I will say that I'm a basketball fan but not a Heat fan, with said, Lebron has been on beast mode this season and the numbers he has been putting up are just phenomenal. Like him or hate him, but for sure stats and numbers don't lie.

The reason Oakley didn't produce the R1 at that time in carbon/ruby to make it totally unique is because it was totally unique in the x metal /black form at that time,it is only the number produced that has made these initial run examples less visibly outstanding.A four digit serialized Romeo will always command a premium,if you don't think its worthwhile then just go for the 6 digit serial version,I like Razorwire acquired mine a considerably less than market value, purely by accident.Would I pay a grand for a Jordan - no probably not , is it special to own , yes it is.

I guess the value of something will always be in the eye of the beholder, hmm got some thinking to do....

Another thing that i noticed is that the colour of the x-metal finish is much lighter than the later pair I have,don't no if that is typical throughout the run but maybe worth noting as another possible difference.

Back