• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet and Penny Fit Comparison

Einlanzero12

Oakley Expert
I really like the feel of fresh-tuned Juliets. The way they wrap around, applying just the right pressure on the head. How they sit on the nose almost without being noticed, the orbitals flexing to match the curvature of the face.

I was wondering: can I expect the same of Penny? I have no way of finding that out for myself and thought I'd ask people who've experienced both. Also, is there a side-by-side of the same face with both for comparison? I'd rather not deal with the hassle of selling them if I don't like them.

No.

Penny has spring hinges compared to Juliet's regular hinges and t-shocks. Penny is considered smaller but the grip is actually less, unless you max the spring hinges' flex.

They both sit on the nose about the same, and though Penny has smaller lenses, they have thicker orbitals / flanges to block peripheral light so it almost balances out. It just depends on how they fit with your cheekbones.

They both have the same nosebridge coupler, more or less.

Search the "What Oakleys are you wearing today?" thread for my posts and you'll find plenty of pics of me wearing both, among other things... ;)

No.

Penny has spring hinges compared to Juliet's regular hinges and t-shocks. Penny is considered smaller but the grip is actually less, unless you max the spring hinges' flex.

They both sit on the nose about the same, and though Penny has smaller lenses, they have thicker orbitals / flanges to block peripheral light so it almost balances out. It just depends on how they fit with your cheekbones.

They both have the same nosebridge coupler, more or less.

Search the "What Oakleys are you wearing today?" thread for my posts and you'll find plenty of pics of me wearing both, among other things... ;)
Bikinis? Thongs? Leather? Latex? :rofl:

That's the info I was looking for when I asked. The knew that Pennys were a tad smaller but I wanted to know if they fit the same. Thanks man!

Not wanting to fully echo what Kronin just said, as he's summed up the technical points perfectly, but I will say that yeah, the penny's are more comfortable to wear than Juliet's I have found because of the sprung hinges, but they certainly don't hold as well, they feel like they'll fall off (though they haven't) when I lean forward to do my laces up.

If you check my XS size compassion thread, I posted a couple of photos of me wearing penny's and Juliet in the same view if that's any help http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/x-squared-size-comparison.48734/page-2

I really like the feel of fresh-tuned Juliets. The way they wrap around, applying just the right pressure on the head. How they sit on the nose almost without being noticed, the orbitals flexing to match the curvature of the face.

I was wondering: can I expect the same of Penny? I have no way of finding that out for myself and thought I'd ask people who've experienced both. Also, is there a side-by-side of the same face with both for comparison? I'd rather not deal with the hassle of selling them if I don't like them.
The Penny is a super comfy frame to wear but as the others have said, will not be as snug as a tuned Juliet. I almost wonder why the Penny has a flex coupler. How often is it really engaged? Maybe that is the idea behind the Half X design. The Half X doesn't get a lot of love because of the crappy spring hinges although some have successfully modified it and made the hinges solid.

No probs dude. Just so you know those lenses are custom cut sapphire's from a flak xl that I got cut locally, but there are members on here that can do that for you :)

No probs dude. Just so you know those lenses are custom cut sapphire's from a flak xl that I got cut locally, but there are members on here that can do that for you :)
Who did you get to cut them over here Ben?

Back