• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Ballistic Case Mod~

baka2ph1

Oakley Beginner
Bought a Oakley Ballistic nylon case off of Ebay, the seller said fits Juliets amongst other frames, but the foam inserts fit a lil TOO snuggly for my comfort and the lenses comfort. I noticed it right away that the foam is rigid enough to cause for concern of creating scratches with repeated use. Then just barely depressing the frames to where the lenses just barely stay off the rigid foam it is still able to close....but if the case is squeezed in the slightest it would snug the frames deeper into the foam anyways in transit. Poo. ...and as in another thread, people stated it stresses the frames out....the curvature of the frames and the curvature of the rigid-foam doesn't marry up nice at all. Which is a shame since it zips up just fine n dandy...no bulging of the zipper when closed up. It's just the fit when placed inside....which totally bummed me out.

Another person's solution was to buy a case meant for Racing Jacket frames and such...but Ebay I feel prolly let me down again since so many sellers Don't show the insides of the item for w/e reason >.> The other case has a slightly different cut-out/layout....and so I thot about cutting the foam myself. Since I already have the case, too lazy to resell if buy from O-store = 1hrs drive away for the other case and then the Sunglass Huts were a waste of half a day since they didn't have anything aside a few cases that were too small since they were all newer models that are smaller than the originals from long ago, bleh~

Was about to buy a X-metal case but then thot about cutting the foam to make it a more Pleasing Fit. Using a xacto blade...and 4 short straight cuts thru the foam to rip up the center pieces to let the orbitals rest comfy, plus 2 short slanted cuts to let the nose piece area rest easier, am Really surprised it fits as good as it does o.o

Also, at the bottom underneath where the foam Used to be there's 2 little nubbys under where the orbitals would sit...that are too short to bother the lenses, but just barely tall enough to restrict movement/jostling around by way of touching up against the orbitals...all the while not the nose piece nor frames are being bent out of shape either, YaY~!^^

Debating about sanding down the nubbys to be flush or just glue some of the foam that was cut out over the area...or-or do both....but really...after putting on the microfiber baggy + wrapping up with the wiping cloth....I highly doubt the nubs will bother the X-metal finish even in the slightest =P

DSC08321.jpg
DSC08323.jpg
DSC08324.jpg

....edited the 1st frame. To show where I cut the foam pieces at.

Purple = Straight cuts to let the frames rest deeper without bending the frames out of whack and to prevent the foam from touching/rubbing up against the lenses

Orange = the two slanted cuts to let the nose piece rest without adding any tension

Last edited:
Thanks! (= ...and edited the first photo to show where the cuts were~

Also am trying to sort out if it be feasible to maybe cut out some of the top extra-squishy foam to allow it to fit the spritzer bottle of lens cleaner in there too. Beacause at the moment I'm iffy about when closed with the sunglass huts metal bottle, it prolly presses against the ear stems a bit too much. For time being putting it in my pocket is fine and will save that for another day when I get a 2nd case in my hands to test that out on~

Buy an x-metal vault,they are designed for the Juliet ect.

I dun like the metal vaults...too heavy and clunky and rather have round corners then edged 90degreee ones. Also the actual metal vaults are more awkward to pack/carry around for my liking anyways~

The soft-vaults, I would buy one if someone on Ebay was selling one not at Ebay prices~ ...or if they actually cared to measure them so people know if they work with Juliets only or both Juliets and Romeos~ ...or if they had some foam in them~ But, that's alot of Ifs lol

Last edited:
Not bad on the mod, but why not just buy a Ballistic Case/Large Soft Vault?

4499a9c050441.jpg

http://www.oakley.com/products/1990/5312

It's only $25 and it's less bulky than the one you modified. If your argument is that you want foam in it, it's not even necessary. I've been using the ballistic case on a daily basis for the past 10 years and i've never had an issue with lenses getting scratched. I do however put the glasses back in the microfiber bag for added protection. Sounds like you do that anyway with your current case.

Had the case for the "past 10 years". Which if a person bought one Back-then, a regular large-soft vault would fit them easy peasy....but as time went by they made their cases all smaller, hence the mod. I went to multiple Sunglass Huts, multiple lens crafters, an O-store...and even betting on a long shot a place that was selling high-end luggage but saaw they had a Oakley soft case in their sunglass racks....saw both large and small non-x-metal vaults. With the Juliets inside, all the cases they had made the zipplers bulge badly and some weren't able to zip up at all.

As far as the foam, when I had my original pair back in the military I had a X-metal and a non-x-metal large-soft vault, but when my sunglasses got stolen I sold them since got turned off by collecting at those times. I'm neutral when it comes to foam. For when I had them no-foam + microfiber bag I know is fine since had no scratches back then ever.

Others that have tried to find cases in recent years and found the current large-soft vaults were a no go:
...just last X-mas: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/appropriate-case-for-juliets.27096/
...this year March: http://www.oakleyforum.com/threads/x-metal-soft-vault.30110/

Last edited:
Ha, the new one i have at home is an X Metal vault. Guess i'm gonna keep that one new and just keep beating on the one i've been using daily :)

Wonder why Oakley didn't just make the large vault just a tad bigger?

dunno...only thing I can imagine is "Well we stop maken these X-metals...no need to sell a perfectly good product anymore that goes with it" *deletes schematics file*
=oS

poop.