1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. 350nick

350nick Oakley Beginner

I have just managed to get hold of a brand new, never used pair of gold lenses for my titanium juliets, and am now considering what to do with the original gold lenses..

They have quite a few light scratches to the gold iridium which is noticeable when wearing them. I did consider selling them but thought they would fetch very little and then I remembered reading on here about removing the iridium coating using alcohol solution.

I also read something about polishing scratched iridium using mild toothpaste or baking soda/water mix although I am sceptical about this working!

If I could remove the iridium would this leave me with a light brown lens? Might be a nice alternative to my gold lenses. (my brother works in a lab so could get me some strong alcohol if needed)

Anyone tried polishing? Is that nonsense? Just found it on a google search!

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice!!

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Wavecloud

Wavecloud Oakley Expert Premium Member

Ive never polished lenses but I do polish epoxy on my SUP repairs, using 2000 grit paper.. You can go as high as 6000 grit....

3. 350nick

350nick Oakley Beginner

I wonder if toothpaste/baking soda is finer than 6000 grit? Might be worth a go, only worry is that I end up scratching the base lens under the iridium.

4. Wavecloud

Tricky to say.. I know that polishing epoxy with high grade paper brings the surface up as smooth as glass.

I have some old lenses that I could try it on.

5. 350nick

350nick Oakley Beginner

I just tried with toothpaste, then baking powder/water on an old set of lenses with very little effect at all so maybe high grade paper is the way to go?

6. Wavecloud

Try high grade paper in conjunction with Bi Carb..? You need a cutting paste.