• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet Plasma Frame Left Eyewire And/or Temple Need To Be Brought In ???

MJLSr

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Greetings,​
Here's my situation. I have had at least a few pairs of Juliets at any given time over the years [my first was in '99]. Recently, I have been adding and upgrading as I wear these daily and since they have been discontinued I wanted to make sure I have enough of a stash to keep me in Juliets for the near future.​
A few months ago I got a pair that were new but never felt right. They were plasma and although they set flat up and down the left temple (to my left) was always 'out', maybe 1/4" or so, whereas the right side was always spot on, right, comfortable. I sent these to Oakley but they first insisted they were 'right'. Then I pointed out the difference in the clearance between temples. Though Oakley agreed this was an issue there were no replacements available so they gave me a free tune up and the glasses were returned to me pretty much the same as I sent them out. I thought 'ok', since maybe I can adjust them myself or use them for spare parts, worst case.​
Keep in mind the arms look straight, lenses fit fine in both frames, they just don't fit!​
Now, keep in mind I have other pairs - x-metal, carbon, polished, and even other plasmas [newer and older (serialized)]. They all fit me well. I am not one of these people with some odd shaped head - all other Juliets I ever wore fit fine, better than fine, I love my Juliets! I understand no one has the same skull and no two pairs of Juliets are exactly the same, but all variances in others were close enough to be even and comfortable and maintain them as my favorites across the various styles.​
So last week I got my hands on a new OCP Juliet plasma frame. I was very happy to have found this new. I put them on and... :headbang: they were 'off', like my other Juliets that I had once upon a time.​
So if once is an anomaly and twice is a coincidence then...​
Now, I am stuck with two pairs of these that are just off enough to be annoying - probably too much so for me to wear since I have always felt that Juliets were about the best glasses I have ever worn.I am not sure what the technical diagnosis is, but I think that the left eyewire and/or temple need to be brought in. One pair is probably ~3mm off, the other ~5mm. I could certainly live with (wear) 1 or 2mm, but these are just too far off.​

Again, both of these are practically new. One pair is a new OCP and the other fresh from a tune up but never really worn in the first place. Neither have experienced any damage. They both sit flat, but it does appear that the side that is 'out' is bent out at more of an angle than the
side that is in. It is not easy to see unless you are looking for it, but it is there on both pairs. I have read stories about threads being drilled at odd angles and nose pieces doing odd things to the geometry, but I do not believe this is the case with either of these.
Fast forward to today. After speaking with the folks at Oakley the past few weeks and a few local stores, two of which even attempted to adjust the frames using heat to make adjustments, I am no better off than I was when I started with one pair and slightly better with the other. I still have two "like new" (one brand new, the other flawless, like new) that I cannot wear due to the left temple, the edge of the frame, apparently being off. To make things even more interesting I have spoken to two others who are knowledgeable, one an ex-Oakley employee, who have heard others describe this exact condition - ONLY ON PLASMA JULIETS. Yes, two others I have spoken two have said they have heard of and/or seen this issue on newer plasma Juliets... :errwhat:
So here I am stuck with two frames that I cannot wear, mostly because I have others that fit sooooo much better. At the same time I cannot sell them as new in good faith to someone who does not understand the situation and/or is prepared to deal with it.​
So now to the questions:​
1) Who has heard of this before?​
2) What was the root cause of the problem?​
3) Was the issue ever resolved?​
4) How was it resolved? (if at all)​
5) WHY DOES IT ONLY SEEM TO APPLY TO PLASMA JULIETS??? (I am sure this is probably NOT the case, but having seen this on only 2 frames myself, both newer plasma, and hearing the same from multiple sources, I have to ask)​
Sorry for the shouting - :sorry: I know it can be considered 'rude', but I have a mystery here that I would like to solve, to gain an understanding, regardless of the fate of the frames in question. I am really sincerely curious about this and would appreciate your advice and guidance.​
Like I said earlier... If once is an anomaly and twice is a coincidence then... :help:
Also, if anyone is familiar with this situation and wants a pair of Juliet plasma frames in very excellent condition [less one screw] and can give them a good home for a fair price please feel free to reach out to me.​
***I read in the exchange area "Trade, Buy, Sell Oakley Sunglasses with other members. You must be a member for at least 14 days and have at least 15 posts to view this area." - I am not trying to go around the guidelines here, just saying that if someone wants these, one or both, they are available. Since these are not something I would sell on eBay or CL (at least without meeting in person) I figured some smart Oakley folks here may be interested*** Depending on the feedback I may or may not post these to the exchange area on this site once I become eligible.​
I do have a few pictures to share. If you look closely you will notice one of the frames has a screw missing - I lost that today - I have no idea how, it just disappeared during one of the operations/procedures/attempts to diagnose the issue at a few different places.​
In contrast to the title "Juliet Plasma frame left eyewire and/or temple need to be brought in ???" I considered pushing the right side out - that did not work either. Also the arms have been swapped/interchanged. the issue is with the main part of the frame - the arms are fine on other frames.​
Here come the pics...​
Thanks in advance!​

Were you the person I was on the phone with at Sunglass hut the other day?

You mean one of the three SG's I visited... and the Lens Crafters... and the Optometrist... I spent the entire day trying to *fix* something that really was never broken in the first place, not an anomaly, but rather an apparent bug - a permanent glitch in The Matrix.
So yeah, that was probably me :lolsign:

Ant THANK YOU for helping me find this place - it is just what the Oakley Dr ordered, or could not order, or something like that! :cool:

Yeah no problem, I was the guy from the Harford mall you were talking on the phone with. But these guys know everything, so your defiantly in the right place.

:bump: Can anyone offer technical details? Perhaps an explanation from en engineering perspective to address my questions above?

Back