• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliet/XX - Frame Value?

Orion

I hit things with sticks....
So I'm really getting the itch to start acting on my x-metal supressed obsession. I think to start, I'll be looking for a pair of Juliet's or XX's that need to be reconditioned.

By "reconditioned" I mean. Needs lenses/rubbers/nose bridge fix/frames re-finished.

Basically I'm looking for a set of frames to build from the ground up.

So here are my 2 questions to get me started.

1. What would be the gen/model that would be valued the lowest given the above criteria?
2. What would be the gen/model with the lowest value that the frames were 9/10 but the rubbers needed to be replaced and the nose bridge needed to be fixed?

Disclaimer: I having a difficult time putting my thoughts into words today so if what I've asked above makes no sense or is too difficult or too broad of a question to ask. Please let me know and I'll try to re-word

Yes, Juliets are definitely cheaper than XX. Easier to find, too.

Regarding gen, it really doesn't matter. If you plan to have them refinished, ideally stick to 4th gen (no markings) or 5th gen (size & SKU markings) instead of a serialed pair; serialed pairs are better left with OEM finish. But really, if the OEM finish on a serialed pair is all trashed, that doesn't matter, might as well refinish it.

A Juliet project frame should fall in the $200 - $250 range, tops.

Juliet's.......
That's what I thought now comes the tough part. Value
Yes, Juliets are definitely cheaper than XX. Easier to find, too.

Regarding gen, it really doesn't matter. If you plan to have them refinished, ideally stick to 4th gen (no markings) or 5th gen (size & SKU markings) instead of a serialed pair; serialed pairs are better left with OEM finish. But really, if the OEM finish on a serialed pair is all trashed, that doesn't matter, might as well refinish it.

A Juliet project frame should fall in the $200 - $250 range, tops.

Thank you guys, I appreciate your input. This is ultimately the information I wanted to end up with. I couldn't get the wording quite right so I was trying a stepped approach.

If I could tap into your knowledge just a bit further. If I were to take 5 juliets that have frames all of similar condition that were of each gen and put them side by side. Would the value change much between generations?

This is ultimately to help me decide if I want to get a complete project frame, or start off with a good frame and just worry about the lenses and rubbers

If I were to take 5 juliets that have frames all of similar condition that were of each gen and put them side by side. Would the value change much between generations?

Not really. Serialed pairs tend to have a bit more value but it's negligible, especially once you factor in the variability of the market. Complete sets have more value than an unboxed pair, regardless of generation, and serial has a bigger impact on value with complete sets. It doesn't sound like you're targeting complete sets, though, so that's moot.

Condition also has a bigger impact on value than generation does, but in your question you said "all of similar condition"... My point is within the parameters you're stating, the differences are kinda splitting hairs...

But you're on the right track with your thinking - you may not want to invest more restoring a frame than it'll be worth once it's finished. So you should think about it like this:

If you want an OEM colorway, or at least an OEM finish with a lens color of your choice, buy a frame that's good to go or maybe just needs a tuneup, either with the lenses you want or source / swap the lenses separately.

If you want a custom finish, like matte black or cerakote or Black Tie or reverse TiO2 or whatever, realize your investment will likely be more than their end value, find as cheap a project frame as possible, and live with it.

Not really. Serialed pairs tend to have a bit more value but it's negligible, especially once you factor in the variability of the market. Complete sets have more value than an unboxed pair, regardless of generation, and serial has a bigger impact on value with complete sets. It doesn't sound like you're targeting complete sets, though, so that's moot.

Condition also has a bigger impact on value than generation does, but in your question you said "all of similar condition"... My point is within the parameters you're stating, the differences are kinda splitting hairs...

But you're on the right track with your thinking - you may not want to invest more restoring a frame than it'll be worth once it's finished. So you should think about it like this:

If you want an OEM colorway, or at least an OEM finish with a lens color of your choice, buy a frame that's good to go or maybe just needs a tuneup, either with the lenses you want or source / swap the lenses separately.

If you want a custom finish, like matte black or cerakote or Black Tie or reverse TiO2 or whatever, realize your investment will likely be more than their end value, find as cheap a project frame as possible, and live with it.

Thanks for all the help. This certainly puts things in perspective for me. Now I at least have the guidance I needed to get started

Juliet is definitely the place to begin. As said its the cheapest of the line, fits most faces very well and is the most popular of the range as they were sold for such a long time. Parts and lenses are readily available, oem and aftermarket, plus if you find its not to your liking size wise etc, you can move it along very easily and try a different model. I personally would purchase a frame that requires as little as possible as this will work out financially well in comparison to fully restoring a used/loose/scratched set, plus you don't have the hassle. I would say on average, you will put more into bringing a frame back to life than purchasing a sound pair at a slightly higher cost. Serial/non serial, it really doesn't matter if it's for wearing. Keep your eye out for a good deal in the exchange and you won't go too far wrong. Best of luck!

Juliet is definitely the place to begin. As said its the cheapest of the line, fits most faces very well and is the most popular of the range as they were sold for such a long time. Parts and lenses are readily available, oem and aftermarket, plus if you find its not to your liking size wise etc, you can move it along very easily and try a different model. I personally would purchase a frame that requires as little as possible as this will work out financially well in comparison to fully restoring a used/loose/scratched set, plus you don't have the hassle. I would say on average, you will put more into bringing a frame back to life than purchasing a sound pair at a slightly higher cost. Serial/non serial, it really doesn't matter if it's for wearing. Keep your eye out for a good deal in the exchange and you won't go too far wrong. Best of luck!

Thank you. I was coming to the same conclusion that bringing a frame back to life might end up being slightly higher in cost.

Back