• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliets vs. Romeo 1s: Durability?

D-Man

Oakley Beginner
Since my Half-Xs are down, not sure for how long, I am considering going with either a pair of Juliets or Romeo 1s. My question is, which of these will hold up to regular use better over the long term? I have seen from reading the forums that the nose bridge on the Juliets will require regular tune-ups to keep it from getting sloppy, and that the nose bridge itself can crack/break. The Romeo 1s look a bit more robust, and with the nose bridge having torx screws, seem to be more user-friendly in terms of repairs/tune-ups. What is the general consensus, if money is not an issue?

Nah, just having fun on the idea that money is not an issue.:)
Your option may have its pros and cons but the Juliet and Romeo never fail to please.
Maybe try to fit some, how comfortable it is on you is a big factor... since those two are standard hinge unlike Half-X which is spring hinge.

A Juliet is going to eventually require a tune up. A Romeo is going to crack the lenses. The X Man can tune a Juliet so it will never need to be tuned again. You can avoid the Romeo lens cracking by putting them on and taking them off over the top of your head instead of straight on and off your face.

I would say given all this, if you properly care for each pair, they should be equal in durability. Pick the one you like better, or do like me and get both. Just beware they multiply exponentially.

One side note: The Juliet will be easier to get rubbers for than the Romeo, unless you're ok with aftermarket, then its a wash again. Lenses are also a wash because eventually you'll have to get custom cuts for either one or God forbid aftermarket.

Everyone has provided you with excellent points. Another thing to consider is fit, not everyone can pull off the Romeo 1 frame plus they are more then twice the price of a Juliet and if you do get one, you will need to bring it up to par to make sure it fits right. Some people complain they don't like it then have to sell it and buy something else. The Juliet is cost effective in the long run. The Juliet is the gateway X metal and suggested by many as the starter frame. With an X man tune up, you can be safe for many years before ever needing one. Don't forget there are a few other metals to choose from and they have some great reviews also.

Sent from my X Metal iPhone

Since my Half-Xs are down, not sure for how long, I am considering going with either a pair of Juliets or Romeo 1s. My question is, which of these will hold up to regular use better over the long term? I have seen from reading the forums that the nose bridge on the Juliets will require regular tune-ups to keep it from getting sloppy, and that the nose bridge itself can crack/break. The Romeo 1s look a bit more robust, and with the nose bridge having torx screws, seem to be more user-friendly in terms of repairs/tune-ups. What is the general consensus, if money is not an issue?
Are you willing to spend $700+ for a Romeo or would you rather spend $400+ for a Juliet?

I personally would wear the Romeo if "money is not an issue" but I don't as I wear something else anyway.

The money is not an issue comment opens up different doors anyway. ;)

With an XMAN tune on the Juliet nose bridge you will not have to worry about needing that done again. The Romeo 1 lens cracking issue has been solved by either 1) taking and putting on the sunglasses like goggles i.e. over your head or 2) notches being cut in the corners of the lenses. With the proper maintenance of both pairs they will last equally long I think. The main decision would be the availability of parts, OEM Juliet parts are found more easily than Romeo 1, and how they fit on you. The Romeo 1 is a big, heavy frame. The Juliet is smaller and fits a lot more people I think.

Outstanding replies. Based on what I have seen here, the Juliets sound like the better option. As far as recuts are concerned, I assume this allows one to source current OEM lenses and have them cut to fit the older frames? Important to me, since the optic quality is one of the primary reasons I go with the O.

Was not aware of the Romeo lens cracking issue. Perhaps it was my recent experience with my Half-Xs failing, but other than looks, the next most important factor is longevity (spare parts availability, ease of getting work done on them).

The Pennys, Mars, and XX are also on my radar, and seem to share the basic design geometry (Nose bridge flexion, rivets). Also, aftermarket (Line Group) rubber is just fine with me. And Frank, you're right: I'd rather have two pairs of Juliets to one pair of Romeos. Just need to find a good one to start, which I'm hoping the forum can help with in about 13 days. ;)

Outstanding replies. Based on what I have seen here, the Juliets sound like the better option. As far as recuts are concerned, I assume this allows one to source current OEM lenses and have them cut to fit the older frames? Important to me, since the optic quality is one of the primary reasons I go with the O.

Was not aware of the Romeo lens cracking issue. Perhaps it was my recent experience with my Half-Xs failing, but other than looks, the next most important factor is longevity (spare parts availability, ease of getting work done on them).

The Pennys, Mars, and XX are also on my radar, and seem to share the basic design geometry (Nose bridge flexion, rivets). Also, aftermarket (Line Group) rubber is just fine with me. And Frank, you're right: I'd rather have two pairs of Juliets to one pair of Romeos. Just need to find a good one to start, which I'm hoping the forum can help with in about 13 days. ;)
There you go. ;)

Back