• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Juliets vs. Romeo 1s: Durability?

Outstanding replies. Based on what I have seen here, the Juliets sound like the better option. As far as recuts are concerned, I assume this allows one to source current OEM lenses and have them cut to fit the older frames? Important to me, since the optic quality is one of the primary reasons I go with the O.

Was not aware of the Romeo lens cracking issue. Perhaps it was my recent experience with my Half-Xs failing, but other than looks, the next most important factor is longevity (spare parts availability, ease of getting work done on them).

The Pennys, Mars, and XX are also on my radar, and seem to share the basic design geometry (Nose bridge flexion, rivets). Also, aftermarket (Line Group) rubber is just fine with me. And Frank, you're right: I'd rather have two pairs of Juliets to one pair of Romeos. Just need to find a good one to start, which I'm hoping the forum can help with in about 13 days. ;)

take your time, but dont take too long. if you had a halfx you would probably fit a juliet better anyway, if you prefer a half frame, the romeo 2 is in between the juliet and romeo albeit harder to get spare rubbers and lenses. my 2 cents, i have a biggish head and like more lens coverage, I cannot wear halfx, penny. I can wear mars but dont like the coverage, barely wear juliets, they look too small on me. but I do wear r2, xx, xsquared & romeos.

oh, also consider xsquared since the nosebridge is more serviceable, (hex screws) and are proving to be more affordable than usual right now. also they have a squarish fit (duh) that resemble the half x lenses a bit more.

good luck buying "just one"

easy, if money is not an issue get both, I'm sure you will love both. Romeo and Juliet sounds pretty good to me.
Now its just matter if u can pull both? I am sure you will. :cool-20:

You have gotten lots of good advice here. Of the two options you have given, if money is no object, buy both. You probably will eventually end up with both anyway. They are addictive. You have been warned. Juliet is closer in size to the Half-X. If you like a bit larger, XMXX is a great option. Smaller than the Romeo, and larger than the Juliet. Romeo 2 has also been mentioned, and is a better option for a half frame, but parts are very scarce. Juliet with an X-Man tune up is the probably the most cost effective option in the long run. Also, easier to source lenses to have custom cut. Romeo custom cuts require a rather large donor lens and they are getting harder to come by. Anyway, explore your options, there are many.

You have gotten lots of good advice here. Of the two options you have given, if money is no object, buy both. You probably will eventually end up with both anyway. They are addictive. You have been warned. Juliet is closer in size to the Half-X. If you like a bit larger, XMXX is a great option. Smaller than the Romeo, and larger than the Juliet. Romeo 2 has also been mentioned, and is a better option for a half frame, but parts are very scarce. Juliet with an X-Man tune up is the probably the most cost effective option in the long run. Also, easier to source lenses to have custom cut. Romeo custom cuts require a rather large donor lens and they are getting harder to come by. Anyway, explore your options, there are many.
Romeo does not require a tune up big plus there

Romeo 2 isn't that much more unaffordable considering i do certain lenses for 70, more exotic colors around 90 and PRIZM from 110

Granted OEM rubber kits may be costly due to rarity, my functional aftermarket rubber kits using Linegear rubbers as stock only cost a few bucks more than a pack of Linegear Juliet rubber kit

Tune ups cost no more than a Juliet or XMXX frame

Screws cost about the same as Juliets unless you go hulk on those lens screws

Romeo 2 isn't that much more unaffordable considering i do certain lenses for 70, more exotic colors around 90 and PRIZM from 110

Granted OEM rubber kits may be costly due to rarity, my functional aftermarket rubber kits using Linegear rubbers as stock only cost a few bucks more than a pack of Linegear Juliet rubber kit

Tune ups cost no more than a Juliet or XMXX frame

Screws cost about the same as Juliets unless you go hulk on those lens screws
We need to talk. Lol

Back