• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jumping Right In.

damanx

Oakley Beginner
Well, I now own my third pair of x-metals.

Refer to the pic below.

Bottom: Romeos that are in dire need of lenses and rubber. Have had these for 8 years, maybe more. Scored these from a coworker for 50 bucks at the time. The lenses beginning to crack helped that deal.

Top: 2nd Gen plasma/ice Juliets. Inherited these from a close relative that had passed several years ago. These need a serious tune up also.

Middle: Newest acquisition as of today. Juliets with polarized lenses that are really nice. These also came with the lense kit and case that you see as well as a set of rubber. The lens kit is the emerald.

Now, having spent I think the last 3 hours googling, and then an hour + reading through the past 36 pages of this forum, it seems that this pair is the real deal, or at least I believe so based on what I have read concerning fakes and then seeing the info about the post 2004 no serial frames. Then found this thread which describes this pair exactly in regards to the "24-125 55 O 21" on the left ear piece:
http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-x-metal-discussion/818-question-about-juliets-w-out-sku-frame.html If these are in fact real, then I did not do too bad considering I got all that for 140.00

Oh, in addition to having the t-6 torx screws and the rivets, I compared the weights of my other juliets and found that both pair weighed 41 grams, not that it means anything, but I'd doubt that the fakes would be that close in weight.

IMAG0638.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0638.jpg
    IMAG0638.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 146
Lots of love for metals here. The middle ones are def legit. They're my favorite color combination, the 24-125 refers to an x-metal frame with ruby lenses. Head to ebay and get some lenses and rubber for the romeo to get them right or put up a want ad in the exchange and hope for the best. Welcome to the forum.

I have been actually considering parting with the romeo frames since I do recall that they did not fit me as comfortably as the Juliets. But, I've not thought hard enough about that since I have this hoarding problem....lol. Not that it matters, but the s/n is just over 18k.

ETA: Thanks for the quick reply and for the info all the older members have shared! The newest pair is from a CL ad. I missed out on a pair of the plasma/ice, not sure which gen, last week by 4 hours. Seller wanted 160 for them.

If you plan on starting a collection, keep the romeo as they get more valuable by the minute. If you're planning on wearing your collection and they don't fit you that well, sell/trade them away for something you will enjoy more. I've owned two R1 and I never hang onto them because they do absolutely nothing for me for some reason. You've definitely got to keep a sharp eye out for the CL ads, esp the great deals. People are realizing how valuable these have become lately.

Thanks again hearno.

I have to say, it's amazing what all has become more "valuable" because of the internet.

I've not searched yet, but if I find another set of Juliets in need of lenses, I'd like to find yellow tinted lenses to put in them for shooting.

Are you aware as to if these are available?

No, no decent shooting lenses for the juliet, maybe the VR28. Not something I'd use them for anyways but to each their own. Trying to squeeze the stems under earmuffs sounds like a migraine waiting to happen. Even if you don't use muffs and you just have plugs, the weight of the juliets isn't compatible with really active activities and lots of quick head movements. If you're just going static to punch holes in paper at a range, maybe, but if you're running and gunning then get some o-matter. If you must use juliets and you want some shooting lenses for them, you can contact dr.chop and he could cut some custom lenses for you. He's a member here, just do a search for him.

You know, I didn't think about the weight. I do a lot of combat style shooting and I think that you are mostly likely correct. Also, the sweat build up on the safety glasses I normally use is bad enough, having to wipe the Juliets off even more would be more of a pita than it's worth.

Back