• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jupiter Squared Headache

I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina (Southeast Europe) hihi
There is probably one Oakley store (well a store that sells Oakley glasses) in my country... That is the reason why I can't choose so much :p .
But I hope that the salesmen will tomorrow change the Jupiter S. for the Holbrook, or give me my money back.
I never had more uncomfortable glasses than the Jupiter S. It is funny that the Jupiter S. were inspired by a switchblade, they really behave like one, cut my brain :lol:
Batwolf, you seem pretty informed, will the grey polarised be good as the tungsten iridium polarised?
Those lenses are a different shade. The grey will make everything just a little darker, tungstem brightens up with the brownish color.

I have another question, my jupiter squared have tungsten polarized iridium, is polarized without iridium similar or is it a huge difference.
My shop has a pair of oakley holbrook polished black/grey polarized, do you guys think they are a good pick?

The Iridium coating is the "mirroring" on the outside of the lens that, depending on the coating's color, will filter out certain wavelengths by reflecting them away. This, in combination with the base lens tint itself, determines what wavelengths and how much of them get through to your eyes.

Now this is purely subjective, but I don't really notice a big difference between Iridium coated lenses and uncoated when looking through them (assuming the light transmission and tints are similar). Many folks prefer the iridium coated lenses for the simple reason that they don't want people to see their eyes behind their shades. And some prefer it for the look...color coordinated lenses and frames look pretty cool.

To try to answer your question:
The Tungsten Iridium Polarized is a contrast enhancing tint that has a slight brownish tint to it. Your surroundings will "pop" a bit more.
The Grey Polarized is a neutral gray tint that will keep colors more balanced.
The degree of "darkening" for both lenses are nearly identical, with the TI being slightly darker...but I doubt you would notice the difference subjectively. If you don't care about the lack of mirroring on the outside, you'd probably be happy with Gray, too. Both will protect your eyes equally well.

I might add that in most situations, I personally prefer non-polarized lenses. I think they're less taxing on the eyes over time. I always need a few minutes to adjust to them, whereas I can put on non-polarized lenses and feel comfortable right away. Unless you spend a lot of time on the water or in the snow, you probably can do without polarization. "Polarized" doesn't necesarily mean "better". But that's my opinion. It all depends on your needs and surroundings. But you may also want to consider a frame model with non-polarized lenses.

Wow...that got kinda long, didn't it? Sorry.

The Iridium coating is the "mirroring" on the outside of the lens that, depending on the coating's color, will filter out certain wavelengths by reflecting them away. This, in combination with the base lens tint itself, determines what wavelengths and how much of them get through to your eyes.

Now this is purely subjective, but I don't really notice a big difference between Iridium coated lenses and uncoated when looking through them (assuming the light transmission and tints are similar). Many folks prefer the iridium coated lenses for the simple reason that they don't want people to see their eyes behind their shades. And some prefer it for the look...color coordinated lenses and frames look pretty cool.

To try to answer your question:
The Tungsten Iridium Polarized is a contrast enhancing tint that has a slight brownish tint to it. Your surroundings will "pop" a bit more.
The Grey Polarized is a neutral gray tint that will keep colors more balanced.
The degree of "darkening" for both lenses are nearly identical, with the TI being slightly darker...but I doubt you would notice the difference subjectively. If you don't care about the lack of mirroring on the outside, you'd probably be happy with Gray, too. Both will protect your eyes equally well.

I might add that in most situations, I personally prefer non-polarized lenses. I think they're less taxing on the eyes over time. I always need a few minutes to adjust to them, whereas I can put on non-polarized lenses and feel comfortable right away. Unless you spend a lot of time on the water or in the snow, you probably can do without polarization. "Polarized" doesn't necesarily mean "better". But that's my opinion. It all depends on your needs and surroundings. But you may also want to consider a frame model with non-polarized lenses.

Wow...that got kinda long, didn't it? Sorry.
Thank you al lot for the comment, you explained it in detail. My local shop just has one pair of Holbrooks, polarized or not.

Thank you al lot for the comment, you explained it in detail. My local shop just has one pair of Holbrooks, polarized or not.

:doh:

Well, you could buy the Holbrooks and just order replacement lenses with a different tint if the original lenses don't suit you. You could always sell the originals to offset the costs.

Hi guys,
I bought a pair of Jupiter Squared sunglasses yesterday. I left them on my head and went by foot to my home. Later I realized that they caused headache, and felt uncomfortable. I know it is a little bit strange to notice that they are unconfortable after half a day but... I used them today morning and they created again headaches, I have a pair of Ray Ban 3379 polarized (the Oakleys are polarised too, the woodgrain version). Is it possible that the Jupiters are to small for me?
Are the Holbrooks maybe more comfortable or should I ask my money back?

Thank you for your answers

Welcome to the forum !!

I think you should try to return those and pick up a different paid of anything else. Check to see how they fit before you leave the store.

If you have something squeezing your head for a while then its sure to hurt so see what works best and hurts the least or doesn't hurt at all?

Everyone's head is shaped differently, there's no reason in the world that a standard pair of Oakleys is going to fit everyone perfectly.

Most Oakleys fit me fine, but the Jupiter LX's were unbelievably tight, with the Jury and JFL close seconds.

Yeah, Jupiter LX are the only pair that have ever squeezed my head too tight. Every other pair of Oakleys I own, including Jupiter, Jupiter Squared, Jupiter Factory Lite all fit me just fine.

I sometimes wonder why I own a complete collection of JLX :laugh:

People,
changed my sunglasses today for a pair of Holbrook Matte black/ Grey polarized.
I love them.
Thank you for your infos

Latest Posts

Back