• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just A Question

I understand cheaper, but more functional? Explain...
I think what @OakleyGuru379 means is you have to be VERY careful when putting them on due to the inherent problem of cracking the lens at the upper rubber gasket connection near the nose bridge. Sometimes you see "spider cracks" at the lower gasket too.
It's the only flex point, so if you have a wider head it's the lens that takes the stress and can crack.
Oakley learnt their lesson with the Mars and then the Juliet by creating the flex required at the nose bridge after having a load of warranty claims of cracked lenses with the Romeo 1.
Make sure you've got 15 temple shocks fitted, open the arms and slide it down over the top of your head to your eyes like a visor instead of from the front towards your face and you reduce the risk.
That said I do personally love the Romeo 1 but find I'm too wary of damaging them to have it as a daily wearer...and I have a fairly narrow noggin.
Is that what you where inferring @OakleyGuru379 ?

I think what @OakleyGuru379 means is you have to be VERY careful when putting them on due to the inherent problem of cracking the lens at the upper rubber gasket connection near the nose bridge. Sometimes you see "spider cracks" at the lower gasket too.
It's the only flex point, so if you have a wider head it's the lens that takes the stress and can crack.
Oakley learnt their lesson with the Mars and then the Juliet by creating the flex required at the nose bridge after having a load of warranty claims of cracked lenses with the Romeo 1.
Make sure you've got 15 temple shocks fitted, open the arms and slide it down over the top of your head to your eyes like a visor instead of from the front towards your face and you reduce the risk.
That said I do personally love the Romeo 1 but find I'm too wary of damaging them to have it as a daily wearer...and I have a fairly narrow noggin.
Is that what you where inferring @OakleyGuru379 ?

So you cut a set of lenses for an R1 ,you wear them for a year or 2 and you notice they are cracked,boo hoo hoo ,take them out and put in a new set, they are a consumable.
I have worn a pair most days for over a year, no cracks , don't be scared to wear them.

So you cut a set of lenses for an R1 ,you wear them for a year or 2 and you notice they are cracked,boo hoo hoo ,take them out and put in a new set, they are a consumable.
I have worn a pair most days for over a year, no cracks , don't be scared to wear them.
Agreed. Mine are worn daily. It took over 2 years for cracks to form on the original X Metal lenses. Cracks be damned I'll just replace lenses. Flaw yes but functionality issue, not so much.

I assume with a big ........... Noggin they have the risk to crack sooner and for some the constant replacement of lenses is not viable. I would be included in that assumption but hey I would still wear the crap outta them. Just gotta get my hands on a pair now.

Thx for the remind! I gotta take my original lenses off and get that ruby polar cut and in mine.

I assume with a big ........... Noggin they have the risk to crack sooner and for some the constant replacement of lenses is not viable. I would be included in that assumption but hey I would still wear the crap outta them. Just gotta get my hands on a pair now.
Congrats. If you need lenses for them,there a couple of folks in this forum whom cuts lenses to fit romeo or any other x metals.

Ha ha no worries I thought I got it wrong. Na need to find someone with tooo many Romeos, if that's possible and see if they would like to trade for some brand new carbon blades + cash obviously.

Back