• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just Got My First Pair Of X-metals!!!! Quick Question For The Experts

Doctorsti

Oakley Beginner
I got the carbon with black iridium pair pre-owned but reported as NIB and they are so far as I can tell in near perfect condition with one exception, or question at least.

Where the right orbit articulates with the flex coupler there seems to be slightly more of a space between the orbit and the flex coupler and it moves more then the left orbit where it interfaces with the coupler. Is this standard. The hex bolts obviously have a tad bit of blue locktight on them so it appears as though they were not disassembled. I will post pictures in a few minutes if necessary but I wanted to know if it was typical to have one side of the flex coupler move more then the other.
From having a circa 1996 or earlier original production pair of square wires the quality on this x-squared is tremendously better. I am pleasantly surprised.

I got the carbon with black iridium pair pre-owned but reported as NIB and they are so far as I can tell in near perfect condition with one exception, or question at least.

Where the right orbit articulates with the flex coupler there seems to be slightly more of a space between the orbit and the flex coupler and it moves more then the left orbit where it interfaces with the coupler. Is this standard. The hex bolts obviously have a tad bit of blue locktight on them so it appears as though they were not disassembled. I will post pictures in a few minutes if necessary but I wanted to know if it was typical to have one side of the flex coupler move more then the other.
From having a circa 1996 or earlier original production pair of square wires the quality on this x-squared is tremendously better. I am pleasantly surprised.

Post pics please. Not sure what you have, Juliet, X-Squared, etc. I none of my pairs have blue locktite on them. The pics might be better for us to really see what is going on with your pair.

Post pics please. Not sure what you have, Juliet, X-Squared, etc. I none of my pairs have blue locktite on them. The pics might be better for us to really see what is going on with your pair.

he did mentioned it was an x-squared. its failry common for x-metals to be uneven on both the orbitals. luckily, with the x-squared, you can disassemble them. its gonna be either the rubber on the flex coupler is worn (worst case scenario), as it was pre-owned, or its just not properly aligned.

check this thread out: http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-x-metal-discussion/13414-should-i-concerned.html

and if you wanna take them apart, there are pics on page 3.

hope this helps.

he did mentioned it was an x-squared. its failry common for x-metals to be uneven on both the orbitals. luckily, with the x-squared, you can disassemble them. its gonna be either the rubber on the flex coupler is worn (worst case scenario), as it was pre-owned, or its just not properly aligned.

check this thread out: http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-x-metal-discussion/13414-should-i-concerned.html

hope this helps.
Guess I should have searched first. I should know that being an avid forum member on other subjects. That thread was exactly my problem as well so this one can just die off. I will likely give oakley a call to we if they still have parts should mine be worn. My thinking is its exactly like the other poster and its just not 100% lined up right.

Guess I should have searched first. I should know that being an avid forum member on other subjects. That thread was exactly my problem as well so this one can just die off. I will likely give oakley a call to we if they still have parts should mine be worn. My thinking is its exactly like the other poster and its just not 100% lined up right.

no prob, glad to help!

you can try and see first if its just the rubber piece not placed properly, as that is usually the issue. if you go call oakley, you'll have to send it in and pay $65 + shipping to have it "tuned-up". better look at it first and save the $$$.

hope this helps.

Man, sorry about that. I read it twice and still missed the x-squared part before posting. I should have also figured it out when he said bolts and the flex coupler. Not my day!

Back