• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just How Limited Are The Limited Editions?

RetinaBurn

Oakley Expert
California
OK, I just got back from Las Vegas and was able to find a few Limited Edition glasses. This got me to wondering how Limited are these glasses are if they were suppose to sell out months ago and yet you can still find them in the Vault stores. Where is this inventory coming from? I was able to pick up the Echelon Jawbone at an O Store and found C100 (Brand new in the box) Jupiter and the Ichiro Radars in Silver with Black Ghost Text (and they sold six pairs of the Blue Frost verision last week, darn it). So why isn't all the inventory getting sold? I understand they will have display pairs, but the C100 Jupiter I got was new in the box with all the accessories. Maybe some of you can shed some light on this subject or maybe I don't want to know because as long as I can keep finding these glasses do I really want to know why?

Don't know if this helps any, but a friend of mine is an authorized Oakley dealer and this is what he told me about Oakley releases. I will use Frogskins for example. He said that in a limited run of 3000 pairs, Oakley.com only sells about 1000 (could be less) of them on their online website. The other 2000 are distributed to other online stores, physical stores, and such to evenly distribute the rest of the production run. So I am thinking the O store you went to just didn't have a big community of collectors and you lucked out finding those rares? There are still a lot of stories where people get lucky and find rares in certain O stores that don't have a big community of collectors around them. Sorry for the wall of text.

This makes sense. I was at an O-store and saw they had the BMX Chrome Jawbones on display after they were sold out on the website. I didn't jump on them because i didn't have the funds to do it at the time. Kicking myself right now :tongue:

Thanks for the info. I have run into an awesome independent Oakley dealer in Gainesville, Florida, of all places (Go Gators!) and the guy is pretty cool. He'll order custom Jawbone frames in UF colors and he sells them like hotcakes. He also is clearly a collector because he ordered a lot of stuff that most wouldn't regularly order (not a lot of black and brown frames if you catch my drift). For instance he had in the Blue Fade & Purple Fade Eyepatch2's. It's nice to have a store like that fairly close. The folks in the shop know their stuff. I have been into the Oakley O-stores where I haven't seen as much passion for the brand.

Thanks for the info. I have run into an awesome independent Oakley dealer in Gainesville, Florida, of all places (Go Gators!) and the guy is pretty cool. He'll order custom Jawbone frames in UF colors and he sells them like hotcakes. He also is clearly a collector because he ordered a lot of stuff that most wouldn't regularly order (not a lot of black and brown frames if you catch my drift). For instance he had in the Blue Fade & Purple Fade Eyepatch2's. It's nice to have a store like that fairly close. The folks in the shop know their stuff. I have been into the Oakley O-stores where I haven't seen as much passion for the brand.

Wish I had a place like that in my local area in the states. Good stuff dude..

Does he still have the blue fade eyepatch? I want one.

so here is the deal on why you find the awesome scores sometimes at vaults or even o stores, what happens is o stores get the new hot stuff, they have it for a while and sell what they can. then once oakley says ok its been out for 7-9 month or more and if its still sitting in a o store they say ok transfer that out to a vault let them have it at a marked down price. they do that will old models and discontinued stuff all the time. ive seen frank kozaks for sale at my local vault brand new in the box for 95 bucks. some times you get lucky and find that rare find. its really makes no sense at all why they do it the way they do or why the vaults get some of the random rare things. but thats what happens o stores will sit on something for say a year and not move it then it goes to vaults, just like with cloths, once a new season comes up they ship it out to a vault for a cheaper price

Ok Guys, thanks for the info. I guess that’s one way to clear out old inventory. But it is kinda weird that you find that occasional odd old model in the Vaults now and then. I'm not complaining, I think it’s great that it does happen and it always gives me a little hope I may find something I passed up on originally and then decided I wanted later on. I to have recently seen the Frank Kozaks, Robert Pimple and even the Mambos at the Vault. Also, getting anything Oakley for cheaper is always a plus.

Back