• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just Picked These Up From The Post Office, Advice Please.

dave m

Oakley Enthusiast

Attachments

• 20140513_1646541_zps890b1e71.jpg
    20140513_1646541_zps890b1e71.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 20140513_1627061_zpsc805f939.jpg
    20140513_1627061_zpsc805f939.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
First thing I would do is contact the seller and politely describe your issue. Sometimes a seller will work with you toward a resolution if the product was not as described. If you attempt this and cannot reach a satisfactory resolution, you can file a claim through Paypal (if that was how you paid) if there is a significant difference between the item and the description in the listing. It can take time and patience, but I have had claims refunded this way. If the damage occurred in the mail, a claim can be filed if you purchased insurance on the shipment.

Contact the seller first and see if you guys can work something out. Good luck!!!

If these are original, vintage blades, then it would be nearly a miracle to find a pair that doesn't have some sort of crack in them. Even pairs that sit in display cases have been cracking. These look in fabulous condition to me for their age! If these are the newly issued ones, then yes, take some action.

Thanks for the info both of you.
I did drop him an email and just as you say nicely that it was a bit more worn than I expected, however the arms and front of the frames were so clean/clear I wondered if people had found they were breaking even without use. They are vintage as it were midwestbroncosfan, I really wanted to get a pair the same as I had when I was younger, doubt I'll wear them much and cheaper than a "heritage" pair!
Thanks again
Dave

The cracking was due to the curvature of the lense inside the frame putting stress on the frame. Result...cracks.
To expound on this a little further - The method of holding the lens in place on Blade, M Frame, and M2 glasses is to mis-match the curve of the frame and lens. Putting them together requires both to flex and the tension, along with the friction from the lens in the frame, keeps everything in place. You're in essence loading it like a spring.

To borrow the definition of Static Fatigue from the science dictionary.org

--"The phenomenon of a material failing at a smaller load than that required to cause short-term failure, after a period of constant loading by the smaller load; the load necessary to produce static fatigue decreases with increasing time under load. In brittle materials, static fatigue is due to the slow growth of sub-critical cracks to a length at which they will propagate catastrophically; in ductile and/or viscoelastic materials it is due to the progress of plastic or viscoelastic deformation ie creep to the point where catastrophic yielding can occur."

The early plastic used in Oakley's frames were thin and brittle.

Was told they were used but never worn
This sounds odd to me. They were described as being used (read: not new) condition, but never actually used (red: worn)?

To expound on this a little further - The method of holding the lens in place on Blade, M Frame, and M2 glasses is to mis-match the curve of the frame and lens. Putting them together requires both to flex and the tension, along with the friction from the lens in the frame, keeps everything in place. You're in essence loading it like a spring.

To borrow the definition of Static Fatigue from the science dictionary.org

--"The phenomenon of a material failing at a smaller load than that required to cause short-term failure, after a period of constant loading by the smaller load; the load necessary to produce static fatigue decreases with increasing time under load. In brittle materials, static fatigue is due to the slow growth of sub-critical cracks to a length at which they will propagate catastrophically; in ductile and/or viscoelastic materials it is due to the progress of plastic or viscoelastic deformation ie creep to the point where catastrophic yielding can occur."

The early plastic used in Oakley's frames were thin and brittle.

This sounds odd to me. They were described as being used (read: not new) condition, but never actually used (red: worn)?

VERY WELL PUT!

Back