• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Just purchased some Oakley Badman glasses. Fake?

Jestered

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
Austin, Texas
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Looks like a good group of folks around here.

So, until recently I was still wearing my Oakley Square Wires I bought new back in '98-'99. They needed to be retired so I bought some black/black Oakley Badman from the big online retailer of everything. I know Oakleys are popular glasses to fake, so I was giving these new glasses a good once-over and am not convinced that these are legit Oakley glasses. The problem is that I've never seen what I know is a real pair of the Badman glasses, so I don't have anything to judge them by. This is also my first pair of Oakley polarized glasses, so I'm not familiar with how the lenses should look. I'm hoping I can get some help here.

There's a couple of things that are alarming to me:

1. These are supposed to be Dark Carbon frames with black iridium lenses (OO6020-01). The frames actually look like a dark brown to me. At first I thought they sent me the wrong glasses, but the model number of the arm is correct. I went looking for pictures online to see if this was just the Dark Carbon color, and it seems it may be, but I'm seeing most these pictures from eBay auctions and I don't trust that any of them are legit either.

2. The thing that really has me concerned is the lenses. I noticed that if I have a bright light behind the glasses and I look through the front of the lenses, I see quite a bit of distortion. As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with polarized lenses and this could be expected. I'm just not sure and would like to know if these are legit or not.

Here are some pics of the glasses. Other than the distortion on the lenses, I'm not even sure what I should be taking pictures of, so let me know if there's something else I need to capture. Can anyone confirm that these are legit or not?

IMG_3075.jpg
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3080.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG

I have some genuine Oakley Madman and the distortion you referenced in your post is visible on my ruby lenses. It is possible to see it when the lenses are held up to the light however when wearing them you do not see anything abnormal. Quite honestly your eye can't focus on anything so close. They look legit to me. Welcome aboard. Now stop reading this and spend a few hundred thousand dollars on more O stuff. Lol

They look legit to me. Dark carbon does have that brownish color to it. The name is a bit misleading, you would think a bit darker like a shade of black, but not in this case. The lenses look ok also, The SKU is correct for the colorway, and you have the correct packaging. The fakes that have been shown usually come with the wrong case.

2. The thing that really has me concerned is the lenses. I noticed that if I have a bright light behind the glasses and I look through the front of the lenses, I see quite a bit of distortion. As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with polarized lenses and this could be expected. I'm just not sure and would like to know if these are legit or not.

Here are some pics of the glasses. Other than the distortion on the lenses, I'm not even sure what I should be taking pictures of, so let me know if there's something else I need to capture. Can anyone confirm that these are legit or not?

View attachment 174738

Your Badman is legit. The distortion on the lens you are talking about are actually pressure points you are seeing caused by the frame impinging the lens. If you have a torx screw and loosen the bolts and adjust the lens you will notice that this may either go away or transfer to another portion of the frame. It drove me nuts the first time I discovered this but you will only notice it when looking at the LCD Screen of your computer. So nothing to be worried about. Hope this helps.

Latest Posts

Back