• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Keeping Glasses In Car-bad?

JShank

Oakley Beginner
I read around that it isn't good for your lenses to sit in your car. The heat will mess them up or something. Is this true? Or only true if left in the sunlight(on dash or whatever)?

I read around that it isn't good for your lenses to sit in your car. The heat will mess them up or something. Is this true? Or only true if left in the sunlight(on dash or whatever)?

To be fair I show my O's a bit more love. I never leave my pairs in my cars as I don't want some SCUMBAG nicking them, but if I ever did then they'd be in the glovebox out of the way keeping cool.

I guess it really depends on where you live. Where I am it can get over 100 in the car easily for a good portion of the day. I personally feel that is dangerous for the life of my Oakleys and do not leave them in the car. At least for lengths of time. When I park my vehicle at work I put my glasses into my backpack and take them with me.

I accidentally left a pair of chrome Scars in the car during the summer. The 100 degree+ heat in TX bubbled and cracked the chrome on the ear stems. They were still under warranty and Oakley replaced the stems. From then on all frames are on my face when leaving the vehicle.

I have a pair that I leave in the sunglasses compartment in the car, so far no problems- but they are a well used pair so that I wouldn't be upset if something did happen.

If I don't leave a pair in the car I'll be without them when needed. There's a pair of Radar carbon fiber with vented black iridium range that live in the glovebox and are not allowed to leave the car.

We've been having a brutal summer and it's been 85-95 for a few weeks straight. No ill-effects seen.

If left in the sun special finishes may be ruined, and rubber will get gummy. Also note than UV degrades polycarbonate. Not rapidly, but a pair left in the sun day after day all year will not maintain the same ballistic protection as when new.

I keep a beater pair of shades (like, $10 from Wal-mart beater) in the car for when I forget to throw a pair on before I leave the house. Long term, in the cycles of very hot and cold temps I would worry about the frames warping.

Going on 5 years for a pair of a wires w/ ruby lenses. They are year round in IL. It gets so hot in the car that it hurts to put them on, they look the same except for some cleaning scratches. I leave them in a ballistic carbon fiber case in the bag. I did replace the ear socks on them last year, but other pairs I would not leave in the car with rubber/plastic pieces.

I keep a beater pair of shades (like, $10 from Wal-mart beater) in the car for when I forget to throw a pair on before I leave the house. Long term, in the cycles of very hot and cold temps I would worry about the frames warping.

I'd be more worried about using $10 glasses and damaging my eyes than having a pair of Oakleys become a little distorted.

And for that matter many members, myself included, have put their frames in boiling water to get the adhesive on the icons to release, with no ill-effect to the frame.

Back