• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Killing Of Frogskins?

Let's face it for the true collectors out there they will not take any substitute when it comes to the original limited frogs. If they are willing to pay the $200+ for the rare frogs then OCP frogs will not tempt them. You can always customize something similar but deep down you know that it just doesn't quite cut it if you're a true o maniac. The customs are for those people that are just looking for something to wear, not display. Just my opinion on the matter...

?...Oakley is killing the frogskins...

Havent I been saying this for at least two years? The frogs are completely overdone and overhyped...the only one worth obtaining in my opinion is the Jupiter Camo Frogs and then they "extended" their limited availability (twice)

Havent I been saying this for at least two years? The frogs are completely overdone and overhyped...the only one worth obtaining in my opinion is the Jupiter Camo Frogs and then they "extended" their limited availability (twice)

Just like you said, your "opinion". You can't say Jupiter Camo frogs are the only ones getting when there is such a huge selection of ones out there that are really well done. I would agree that they are becoming overhyped though. I think one of the reasons people collect frogs is due to their rarity. I don't think most frog collectors invest in them to resell later. It's all about having something unique.

special collab frogs will always be special. and will always command top dollar in my opinion. like what Jive said, OCP gives everyone the chance to own some awesome lenses. no more Grey lenses for me! =) it's hard to see someone conjure up say, a pair of DQMs with the OCP options. =)

Jono is right, an OCP Frogskins can't replicate any of the limited edition pairs. You can't make a Jupiter Camo, let alone a DQM, BKRW, Primitive, Fice etc, so this won't devalue the limited pairs at all.

A lot of emphasis has been placed on the lenses but that is not the be all and end all for me. Sure, you can make a Matte Black with Fire frame and Oakley have/are releasing the Hell Frogskins which is Matte Black with Fire. However, the Hell frame has orange on the stems and a new design microbag, something the OCP programme doesn't have as an option. Therefore, I'd take the Hell frame rather than do it via OCP, same with the VR-46.

I think what the OCP programme will do is just cause the phase out of the current standard Frogskins range i.e., Polished Black w/ grey, Polished White w Ruby, Polished Clear w/ violet etc. I think in future what you'll have is the OCP Frogskins (which will now incorporate the ability to make what is currently the standard range rather than buy them pre-made), Collectors Edition, and Limited Edition. I think the OCP programme will impact the aftermarket lens manufacturers. Demand for their lenses will wain and they'll either have to reduce their prices to compete or, unfortunately, go out of business.

The OCP programme is designed to make Frogskins more accessible. However, by making the Frogskins range more wide available is Oakley actually killing the demand for Frogskins? Yes, I think so. The boom over the past three years has without question been driven in part by their limited availability. Oakley did start re-producing the Frogskins in limited runs of 3,000 and promoted that fact. However, in the last year it's been very obvious that models have not been limited to 3,000, not even the limited edition pairs. Oakley's idea of 'Collectors Edition' and 'Limited Edition' has also proven to be a load of BS, which has again impacted on demand. Nobody is desperate for them anymore because they're not as limited as they used to be.

The Deuce Coupe, ignoring the fact that it is a God awful design anyway, was selling for below RRP before it was even officially released. Oakley may claim it was a success because it sold out online but I know of dozens of retailers who still have a ton of stock of them and aren't selling them, even at discount. Same as the Goldbrooks, people may think there was a demand because they sold out online but I know several retailers who still have them and can't get rid of them.

I don't think Oakley have really got a handle on how to manage the Frogskins range. They seem to be reacting to markets than being pro-active. The Acid series didn't sell, and the Acids that did sell were then being customised with aftermarket lens options. Oakley have now changed it up a bit by providing the Acid range in a tortoise effetc with coloured lens options but already they are still selling at below retail, despite being brand new. The market has moved on from ridiculous loud colours, hell it had moved on even before the first Acid series came out. For all of the genius Oakley produces they produce just as much, if not more, crap.

The debate of over saturation could be valid, but wasn't this bound to happen anyways? Let's face it, the Frogskins are 20+ years old and some people would debate it was crazy that there wasn't OCP options sooner.

Some people might blame it on the Luxxotica take over, and that Oakley would've never done OCP Frogskins. Whether that is true or not is something we will never know. The only person that really hurts here is the collector and IMO that is ok. It will be cool seeing more people with Frogskins and if some people are disappointed by that, just wear your Collector's pieces more and then you'll have something to talk about if you run into one of those people. :cool:

Back