• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Kitchen Sink v Big Kitchen

SiRacer420

BWPMF
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
NOLA
I have an Icon 3.0 Redline but I've been looking at getting a new bag for work. I carry my 13' MBP and various small tools and such for working on Smart Boards and computers. I guess I don't really NEED a new bag, I just want one!

So I've been looking on the SI site. The KS is 120 and the BK is 150. I like the hooks and stuff being silver on the KS better than the black on the BK, but the BK is bigger. So I guess what I'm asking is this; is the BK that much bigger that it's not worth saving the 30 bucks? I don't know if I worded that properly.

Any input on KS v BK is appreciated.

Considering how big the KS is to begin with, the slightly larger capacity is negligible.

As I see it, here's the three most meaningful practical (as opposed to aesthetic) differences between the two:

- BK has an additional set of small, upper external side pockets that the KS lacks. For me, a pro for BK.

- The metal rings on the top flap the clips attach to? With a KS, they sometimes get folded back under the top flap, meaning you have to reposition them before clipping. On the BK, there's some "tails" on the top flap preventing the metal rings from doing that. For me, a pro for BK.

- Under that top flap, the access to the main compartment is a zipper on the KS and a drawstring on the BK. For me, a pro for the KS, but others may prefer the drawstring.

Now that's some good stuff. Thanks Kronin!

I don't know about that drawstring... I think I'd have to agree about that, zipper sounds better. But those extra side pockets make me happy. More places to put all the damn USB sticks I carry. ( some for apple, some for PC, some for smart boards)

I had both bags side by side in the store and I feel the BK was improved in all areas where the KS was lacking. I believe it to be the superior bag and love mine.

Yeah the Icon 3 is like that too. standard Oakley form over function i guess. I'm thinking that for only $30 more, I may as well get the BK. If I get too fussy over organization, I'd have to go back to my SwissGear bag. But that doesn't have the pretty O on it!

I also use the mechanism as a "baby bag". Really, I almost like it better - lots of external pockets, eight of them outside of the main storage, some quite small. Much lighter weight, yet also large capacity. The clips aren't quite as cool (both aesthetically and functionally) but they still work. It is a drawstring top, though.

Really, the main reason it's the baby bag and the KS is my daily/laptop bag - the KS has the side zipper access to the laptop storage area, while the mechanism does not...

Just saw the mech. No side zipper for the laptop rules that out. Maybe useful as a diaper bag though!

I also use the mechanism as a "baby bag". Really, I almost like it better - lots of external pockets, eight of them outside of the main storage, some quite small. Much lighter weight, yet also large capacity. The clips aren't quite as cool (both aesthetically and functionally) but they still work. It is a drawstring top, though.

Really, the main reason it's the baby bag and the KS is my daily/laptop bag - the KS has the side zipper access to the laptop storage area, while the mechanism does not...
This is a comparison thread between the Kitchen Sink and Big Kitchen. Your input on the Mechanism is uncalled for.

Back