• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Kronin323's Forum Anniversary and 5000th post

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
Hello, friends.

Today is my one year anniversary on the forum. Feels like longer.

This is also my 5000th post. Yes, 5000 posts in one year. I don't know whether that's impressive or pathetic; maybe both? :D

There have been some other recent milestone posts that were very well done. I doubt this will live up to the same standards, but I'll do my best.

I've had brand-awareness of Oakley for decades, but always had a "churn & burn" attitude towards sunglasses and used cheapos. Until October 26th, 2007, the day I tried on my first pair of Oakleys. Juliets, of course... ;)

I had known of x-metals since their release, but this was my first time handling them. I loved the solid feel, fit, and look. And the optics... oh, the optics! They became my first pair, plasma / ice iridium polarized.

A few months later, on February 6th, 2008, The Wife went to the O store and bought an OCP Juliet in x-metal / fire iridium polarized for my birthday five days later. Then I had two pairs, one with a neutral base, one with contrast; a year or two later I swapped the ice lenses for BIP; our office was more conservative at the time and ice was just a little too flashy to go with a suit...

I ran with these for years, was so proud of their optics, near- indestructibility, and overall quality. I used them for everything.

Until one day in the summer of 2013. I was at the beach swimming in the surf. I dove into a wave and it tore my original pair, my plasma / BIP, from my face, never to be seen again. And I searched for hours.

Fast forward a few months; the pair of Oaks The Wife wore (and kept dropping) finally broke and we decided to get each other a new pair for x-mas. All I wanted was to replace the exact pair I lost but found they'd been discontinued. I'd heard rumors for years that they were going to be, but it never happened so I started ignoring them. And now they were.

Researching replacements led me to this site, not for the exchange but for information, of which there was plenty. At first I wasn't sure how long I'd stick with it - you know, sometimes you're all into something and then something else catches your interest. But a few months later I was upgrading to premium membership and the rest, as they say, is history.

But that's a common story here - fell in love with a pair of Oakleys, after much use lost my beloved first pair, found the forum. I've read it again and again. One of us, one of us...

And that's what this post is really about. You. Despite it being a bit of a sausage-fest around here, this is a pretty diverse group. And you've all made this place a pretty enjoyable place to be. I'm not going to do the thing where I tag a list of members - it seems like those sort of lists invariably omit some worthy people, and I don't want to accidently snub anybody. But you know who you are. Yes, I'm talking about you.

I have learned SO MUCH about the brand and its products over this past year, have even become a bit of an authority in some areas. But my Oakley knowledge is dwarfed by many members here; I will never learn enough to compare with such vast experience. Nor with such vast collections... ;)

So, in summary, THANK YOU! Thank you for the experience, the knowledge, the interaction. And most importantly, thank you for the friendship. :drinks:

Now, on to some pics!!!!

When I first joined, I put little thought into my avatar. Since it was the loss of my first pair that brought me here, on the spur of the moment I dug up a pic taken with The Kid during that beach trip, shortly after I lost them.

But I've never changed it. Others have changed their avatars, some frequently, but I never have. So I decided to commemorate the anniversary by changing my avatar.

Since, when you do so, the new avatar wipes out the old, even on old posts, here I post a pic of my old avatar, for posterity...

oldavatar2.png

Tomorrow (Monday) evening I will change to my new avatar. I've spent quite a lot of time thinking about this, what to use. And what I came up with will BLOW YOUR MIND!!!

Stay tuned... :D

Last edited:
By the standards of many here, my collection is quite modest. I've taken my time with it. But, considering I was down to one pair when I joined, it's not too shabby...

20150118_154801.jpg

My dozen Juliets. Well, 11 of them... my most recent custom didn't make it back in time for this post. :( But I'll post it on this thread in the next day or two...

20150118_154258.jpg

20150118_154132.jpg

20150118_154319.jpg

My other x-metals, covers all of the remaining frame styles that were made:

20150118_154500.jpg

20150118_154340.jpg

20150118_154434.jpg

And my o-matters:

20150118_154607.jpg

Additionally I have a couple of backpacks, a small pile of clothing and accessories, and misc boxes / coins / cards / stuff not on display.

Last edited:
I also want to highlight a few of my most recent customs.

This I got in a trade, already done in blue cerakote by Chop. It had the OEM white rubbers and ice lenses. I put in white orbital gaskets, chrome polar custom cuts, and had x-man cerakote the rivets white when he did a tuneup.

20150118_155133.jpg

20150118_155142.jpg

20150118_155155.jpg

Last edited:
These OEM carbon frames I acquired with OEM blue rubbers. I put in deep blue polar custom cuts and blue orbital gaskets. I know, LG gaskets are a lighter blue than OEM, but I was hoping that small sliver of LG blue against the carbon frame would blend in with the OEM blue. I think it worked out...

20150118_155307.jpg

20150118_155321.jpg

20150118_155334.jpg

Last edited:
When forum members began duplicating the rust fallout finish, I decided I really liked it. But which pair to do? Seemed to me that Mars was the perfect candidate; I mean, what better pair to rust than the pair named after the planet of rust? I'm surprised nobody beat me to it... ;)

I'm not quite sure I like the color of the rubbers, may change it later. But I like the ruby polar custom cuts...

Rust work done by RonkPM; much thanks!

20150118_155443.jpg

20150118_155451.jpg

20150118_155505.jpg

It's hard to catch the detail of the rust finish with my camera; these close-ups do a little better job but they really are even more stunning in person:

20150118_155537.jpg

20150118_155621.jpg

20150118_155646.jpg

20150118_155714.jpg

20150118_155726.jpg

20150118_155745.jpg

20150118_155839.jpg

Last edited:
The mailman came! The mailman came!

(Frank, don't touch that one...;))

Those of you who saw this past season's off-topic CFB thread know that I'm a Texas Longhorns fan. I now have a custom UT pair to go along with my other accoutrements...

Much thanks to the x-man for his quality refinishing skills. Also a thank you to CarGuy for donating the burnt orange cerakote.

Though the above pics were taken with a mix of natural and artificial light, these were taken at night with mediocre artificial light. But it's what I had to work with. Enjoy!

20150120_215808.jpg

20150120_215820.jpg

20150120_215841.jpg

Here's a reshoot of the earlier collection pic, now including this pair:

20150120_184902.jpg

Last edited:
Even more impressive is that each of those 5000 posts have 5000 words each. :)
Nice stuff and I don't believe that I have seen a cell stand for pics.

Last edited:
For anybody who read this while I was still uploading pics to reserved posts; all pics for today are now in there, just missing the final customs and new avatar, for tomorrow...

Back