• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laser eye surgery Opinions/ Reviews

Good luck. Seriously.

Like I said earlier, I'm just uneasy with how bad it can get if I fall in the (minority) of those who get a bad experience. If it works out, you can't put a price on revived vision.

Good luck. Seriously.

Like I said earlier, I'm just uneasy with how bad it can get if I fall in the (minority) of those who get a bad experience. If it works out, you can't put a price on revived vision.
Ventruck, you should also research Relex Smile. No side effects. Side effects of Lasik were the main reason I never did it. Side effects come from the cutting, Relex Smile has very little cutting. And you are right I now have better than perfect vision and it changed my life.

Ventruck, you should also research Relex Smile. No side effects. Side effects of Lasik were the main reason I never did it. Side effects come from the cutting, Relex Smile has very little cutting. And you are right I now have better than perfect vision and it changed my life.

Like you described, it's a smaller chance due to how little cutting is involved, but it's a stretch to say no side effects flat-out. There's also no guarantee for everyone being free of avoiding the need for future enhancement procedures (which would be via PRK or LASIK anyway). Of course this may rely heavily on the doctor getting things right and/or having pre-existing complications.

Actually going to the eye doctor tomorrow so I might pick his/her brain about it. In general I feel like if I'm gonna go forward with anything, I'm gonna be looking for 2nd/3rd/4th/etc opinions and have deciding on a surgeon a trial in itself.

Like you described, it's a smaller chance due to how little cutting is involved, but it's a stretch to say no side effects flat-out. There's also no guarantee for everyone being free of avoiding the need for future enhancement procedures (which would be via PRK or LASIK anyway). Of course this may rely heavily on the doctor getting things right and/or having pre-existing complications.

Actually going to the eye doctor tomorrow so I might pick his/her brain about it. In general I feel like if I'm gonna go forward with anything, I'm gonna be looking for 2nd/3rd/4th/etc opinions and have deciding on a surgeon a trial in itself.

The need for later correction with Relex Smile is also greatly reduced compared to LASIK also. I was reading about it and talking with my surgeon at one of my annual followups, and the studies are saying that because LASIK produces so much trauma from the burning of the tissue and cutting, vs. the simple removal of the tissue and minimal cutting for Relex, that the body triggers a response to grow the eye tissue back, while in Relex Smile the same reaction isn't triggered.

My Relex was all computer mapped and everything, the doctor didn't measure or cut anything, only pulled out the little disc of tissue, that's about it. So there's very little doctor skill variation.

Of course, no such thing as zero side effects, but Relex smile has proven to be far safer, and with a fraction of the chance of side effects, as compared to LASIK. Its a radical improvement over previous older generation surgeries like LASIK.

I had Lasik done almost 2 years ago and I couldn't be happier. I had a pretty strong prescription and an astigmatism. I now have 20/15 vision and WAY more Oakleys than I used to... I've heard some horror stories, but the possible positive results won out and I am so glad they did. Best of luck in your decision!

Latest Posts

Back