• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Laser eye surgery Opinions/ Reviews

Like you described, it's a smaller chance due to how little cutting is involved, but it's a stretch to say no side effects flat-out. There's also no guarantee for everyone being free of avoiding the need for future enhancement procedures (which would be via PRK or LASIK anyway). Of course this may rely heavily on the doctor getting things right and/or having pre-existing complications.

Actually going to the eye doctor tomorrow so I might pick his/her brain about it. In general I feel like if I'm gonna go forward with anything, I'm gonna be looking for 2nd/3rd/4th/etc opinions and have deciding on a surgeon a trial in itself.

update on this. Doc said my astigmatism makes for quite a difficult eye profile to work with. I might need to go the implant route, or water advances may come down the road. Either way he suggested it was too soon (mid 20's) where growth is still a factor. Hearing that, I'm guessing that's a reason for a good share of people suffering halos and such: they did it too early.

On another note it seems my vision stayed the same this year. He even suggested I reduce power a tad bit.

If the Lasik doctor offers you a buy-one-get-one-free deal, is that a good thing?
A common thread in the reading I have done is not to cheap out on your eyes they are precious. As far as a Bogo deal, that's likely competition in the market. Really, its not a time consuming procedure. The laser is the biggest expense.

In this area, the variance in price has alot to do with factors outside of the procedure itself. Frills, lifetime warranty, inclusive follow-ups for 5 years to lifetime etc.

So, I wear glasses for my near sightedness and have since the 6th grade. The near sightedness isn't THAT bad; I can easily find my way around the house without my glasses and I take them off to read. If I lose my vision because of an accident or complication from LASIK I am screwed professionally. At this time, the annoyance of glasses and contacts is simply not worth the risk of having surgery (for me). I had a professor in college who was a developmental biologist who specialized in the eye. He was very concerned about LASIK and the fact that the corneal flap never actually heals completely and can become dislodged from even minor traumas. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2843572/ is a case report about a flap dislocation several years after LASIK. The article states in the discussion, "It is thought that adhesion occurs only in the anterioposterior plane and probably never happens in the tangential plane. Injuries due to shearing mechanisms such as a fingernail injury or a contact lens injury can more often cause flap displacement than seemingly heavier injury in the anterio-posterior direction such as boxing or blunt ocular trauma from occupational hazards." For me the risk of possible permanent damage is not worth the procedure. Obviously it works well for the vast majority of people. All surgeries have risks. The question you have to answer is if the potential benefits outweigh those risks. Just my $0.02

Latest Posts

Back