• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Latest Advice For Visiting The Mother Ship

Shldonator

Oakley Expert
Greetings,

Im about to embark on a multi family vacation to Oceanside, CA. A quick map quest search shows me ill be about 50 miles from the mother ship. That, plus the fact that Ill be about up to my ears in 6 year olds on a post Legoland let down by then has me considering a trip next Tuesday. Im in the military and see posts about special access for LE and FD as well. Can I expect a similar access to those guys or am I going to be limited to a visit of the O Store (like that is a bad thing right?). Also, Ive read comments from folks that call the experience not much better than a trip to the local store.

So, if you have recently made the trek or have any advice please let me know. Im going to try to hit them up for help on a few out of production models and anything else I can think of and hope to see some of the stuff you don't normally see at the local stores. Am I setting myself up for a let down or is it a trip worth taking?

Thanks for the feedback,

First, building is super cool with some pretty cool industrial mad max type stuff. Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. Their warranty dude found me a pair of ear socks for my Water/Racing Jackets. They could order me a new lenses but I would have had to come back in a week. Too bad I live in Tucson and they wouldn't ship. They had a Time bomb II in the case for a reasonable (cough) $2700.

Even with the cool results, I'm pretty soured on Oakley right now. I asked one of the staff for general info for my firefight friend and military me. She told me the FF could get into the special area but I couldn't. According to her, their were too many of us military dudes to offer access because they wouldn't make any money. Too many to cut a deal but Oakley will use our stuff to show their coolness. From the big tank to the ejection seats to the torpedo in the circular drive to the golf carts identified by names of attack helicopters, to the room painted in camo and the list goes on. I couldn't even go inside or go in to get the car keys so Oakley let me stand out in the sun because I was one of too many. I understand that I couldn't have bought (my friend did that for me) but it's really so secret squirrel that I had to stand out in the sun? No disrespect to the FF or LE dudes who can get in, you deserve every benefit you can get so more power to you.

Before anybody wells up on me about the fact I can get access to the especial special via the SI site, go on there and take a look. Everything but the most basic stuff is "back ordered" which means you might get it in 6-10 months. All while you can have no affiliation to the military and buy SI stuff in your local O store.

So, there you have it. I think you either gotta be local or a collector to take the time to come to the big shop. I'd think Oakley would want to put on a bit better face for the communities that support them. Including telling the crusty receptionists to not look at visitors like they have **** on their shoes (sorry to interrupt your purse shopping, yes, we could see the screen once we walked past you).

Yes, bitching a bit but also understand I've been taken care of by Oakley in the past. Let's just say I'll never see the need to visit 1 Icon again and much prefer the service from my local outlets. At least they welcome me in with a smile and a greeting and don't make me stand outside like I'm a second class citizen.

Just my two cents...

First, building is super cool with some pretty cool industrial mad max type stuff. Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. Their warranty dude found me a pair of ear socks for my Water/Racing Jackets. They could order me a new lenses but I would have had to come back in a week. Too bad I live in Tucson and they wouldn't ship. They had a Time bomb II in the case for a reasonable (cough) $2700.

Even with the cool results, I'm pretty soured on Oakley right now. I asked one of the staff for general info for my firefight friend and military me. She told me the FF could get into the special area but I couldn't. According to her, their were too many of us military dudes to offer access because they wouldn't make any money. Too many to cut a deal but Oakley will use our stuff to show their coolness. From the big tank to the ejection seats to the torpedo in the circular drive to the golf carts identified by names of attack helicopters, to the room painted in camo and the list goes on. I couldn't even go inside or go in to get the car keys so Oakley let me stand out in the sun because I was one of too many. I understand that I couldn't have bought (my friend did that for me) but it's really so secret squirrel that I had to stand out in the sun? No disrespect to the FF or LE dudes who can get in, you deserve every benefit you can get so more power to you.

Before anybody wells up on me about the fact I can get access to the especial special via the SI site, go on there and take a look. Everything but the most basic stuff is "back ordered" which means you might get it in 6-10 months. All while you can have no affiliation to the military and buy SI stuff in your local O store.

So, there you have it. I think you either gotta be local or a collector to take the time to come to the big shop. I'd think Oakley would want to put on a bit better face for the communities that support them. Including telling the crusty receptionists to not look at visitors like they have **** on their shoes (sorry to interrupt your purse shopping, yes, we could see the screen once we walked past you).

Yes, bitching a bit but also understand I've been taken care of by Oakley in the past. Let's just say I'll never see the need to visit 1 Icon again and much prefer the service from my local outlets. At least they welcome me in with a smile and a greeting and don't make me stand outside like I'm a second class citizen.

Just my two cents...
I'm curious.....which portion of the place did you stand outside of? The main entrance or the EP store?

The EP store., which is open to mil on Friday's I think. I understood and accepted the limits of visiting on a Tuesday and not mad that they didn't lay out the red carpet for little old me. It was just a really weird vibe. I think the first person I encountered who told me "there are too many of you so we won't turn a profit" (referring to the military), just set a tone. Staff that helped me were great, it just seemed like the policies were coming down from way beyond where the rubber meets the road and lacked a bit of sense.

Anyway, I've had a burger and a beer and am over it. Might have been expecting too much. It's a factory not Legoland.

So how did you like Legoland? It's pricy, we got a deal 5 days for the price of 1 day that included the aquarium and water park for free sorry about your icon visit.

Legoland rocked. Lego movie experience was cool. The staff quizzed the kids and had them find things in the massive set. If do a day in the park, a day for the water park/aquarium and then go back as necessary. We somehow ended up not spending a ton of money once we got in park opened late enough to have breakfast before and a lunch and we were able to hold off for dinner until after we left. But, kids eat free after five.

That's cool, I did not know that, we didn't do the water park, decided to go to the ocean instead. Since both my girlfriend and her son had not been in a very long time

The EP store., which is open to mil on Friday's I think. I understood and accepted the limits of visiting on a Tuesday and not mad that they didn't lay out the red carpet for little old me. It was just a really weird vibe. I think the first person I encountered who told me "there are too many of you so we won't turn a profit" (referring to the military), just set a tone. Staff that helped me were great, it just seemed like the policies were coming down from way beyond where the rubber meets the road and lacked a bit of sense.

Anyway, I've had a burger and a beer and am over it. Might have been expecting too much. It's a factory not Legoland.
I see. I know that sun is hot out there.....shoulda grabbed a soda from the soda machine and hung out in the main lobby till your buddy came back out. I know there was no way they could have let you hang inside the EP entrance but still sucks they wouldn't let you in.

I'm VERY FAMILIAR with Oceanside...

that's the home of the biggest Marine Corps Base.....

I know that place like the back of my hand - be sure to hit Ruby's at the end of the pier :)

outside of that, it's a military town - a small military town at that...

best bet is to hit Carlsbad, Escondido, El Cajon, San Diego area.....

I'm VERY FAMILIAR with Oceanside...

that's the home of the biggest Marine Corps Base.....

I know that place like the back of my hand - be sure to hit Ruby's at the end of the pier :)

outside of that, it's a military town - a small military town at that...

best bet is to hit Carlsbad, Escondido, El Cajon, San Diego area.....

I remember Camp del mar and sharky's hotel lol.

Latest Posts

Back