• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lazy?

People have been saying this for awhile now but honestly who is coming out with anything more innovative than Oakley? And where Oakley lacks in eyewear innovation they have made up for in other areas such as backpacks, watches and goggles.

I agree, though I wish they would focus more on their primary product - eyewear, though, unfortunately eyewear doesn't make them as much money as apparel does :S Seems like they've been moving ideas away from eyewear and more into tech, goggles, watches, etc. It would be nice to see some of the old spice in the eyewear side of things.

What else could they come up with that would exceed your expectations? Honestly it's hard coming up with anything jaw dropping after seeing everything Oakley has come out with.

You also have to consider the market and the customer base, this dictates what happens more than anything.

And for those saying they want X-Metals back, they were around for almost 15 years. And the M-Frame is still around, being 20+ years old. What other company can you think of that has still has a product they introduced that long ago? If anything, with how quickly the market and fashion changes we were lucky to see these around for that long.

Either way, I'm just tired of people saying Oakley isn't original like the good old days. They've been making glasses for 20+ years, honestly what else is left to do? When you come up with some ground breaking ideas or a prototype let me know.

What else could they come up with that would exceed your expectations? Honestly it's hard coming up with anything jaw dropping after seeing everything Oakley has come out with.

You also have to consider the market and the customer base, this dictates what happens more than anything.

And for those saying they want X-Metals back, they were around for almost 15 years. And the M-Frame is still around, being 20+ years old. What other company can you think of that has still has a product they introduced that long ago? If anything, with how quickly the market and fashion changes we were lucky to see these around for that long.

Either way, I'm just tired of people saying Oakley isn't original like the good old days. They've been making glasses for 20+ years, honestly what else is left to do? When you come up with some ground breaking ideas or a prototype let me know.

Well if I could come up with better designs I would, and I'd be beelining it to Foothill ranch lol. I agree that it's a consumer-driven market, but what I'm sure most people are saying that it's not so much expected that Oakley should break the grounds once again, (especially when, looking back on the timeline, they've have several boring years between their classics) just that it would be a pleasant surprise to see them bring back their old flare (y)

Even of the frames are ground breaking, at least produce some wacky 90's era colorways.

If they would only hire Dr Chop....

I have a few prototypes in drafting as we speak. Been working on Morpheus style frame. Gonna be huge when Oakley buys it off me. Lol

Oakley isnt lazy at all. And for everyone saying its all because of luxottica...it isnt. This past week all the store managers were treated to a key-note speech from Jim Jannard himself. He said he is blown away by what Oakley has done since he sold. And get this, he even gets some input on product that comes out. I have absolutely no idea how much..but he does.

Normally i wouldn't post something like this but I feel this offsets the trending opinion here on the brand that I love. Oakley isn't what it used to be, and I'm glad because it probably wouldn't survive. Look at the market right now. Oakley is and always will be a sport orientated brand and performance in all the categories (lifestyle, active, sports performance) is shown.

Quick comment on X-metals: For those who say that they want them to bring back the Romeo and Mars and so on, whats the point? I know I would feel frustrated if they did because it would diminish the romeos and mars that I have. Thats what makes the vintage stuff so special. People have really high hopes on them, and no matter what gets released in the new line will surely dissapoint those people. That even goes for the Pitboss II.

Just my .02

My source told me about JJ as well. I'm glad he's still somewhat involved with the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know you're going to think I'm just picking on you today BW, but honestly I'm not.

But let's just get one thing straight. This is the Oakley Forum. Everyone here, myself included, has a love for the brand in one way or another. Some of us like older designs, and some of us like the newer ones. Some of us even only like ONE style (and that's how the Frogskin survives perhaps :wink: ). What I'm saying here is that everyone has their own opinion on Oakley products and should be allowed to voice them - however retarded. It's a bit like car design - some of us like vintage - some of us prefer modern - no-one is right or wrong when it comes to their own personal preference. I agree that some put their point across with less dexterity than others, however.

I'm scratching my head a bit about your post though, Batters, on a number of points . . . .

1) "What else could they come up with that would exceed your expectations? Honestly it's hard coming up with anything jaw dropping after seeing everything Oakley has come out with."
I kinda partly hear where you are coming from - but are you suggesting that Oakley just sit on their laurels releasing generic eyewear product instead of pushing boundaries or designing something new and exciting? That would go against the whole ethos of the company (or, at least, their marketing department).

2) "And for those saying they want X-Metals back, they were around for almost 15 years. And the M-Frame is still around, being 20+ years old. What other company can you think of that has still has a product they introduced that long ago? If anything, with how quickly the market and fashion changes we were lucky to see these around for that long."
What other company has been pushing the same products for the last 20 years? Errrm, every automobile manufacturer (twice that period if you count the Porsche 911, Ford Mustang, etc etc), every candy/chocolate manufacturer, fast food companies, the list goes on. It's all about evolution of the products - and this is where I think folks on the forum are getting a bit upset. We want to see the next step, the next evolution - and that just doesn't appear to be happening. Yes, folks are getting tied up with the death of X-Metals, but it is because they are eager to see how that line will evolve - and how that line of thinking will evolve.
Or, as you have asked, is there any further to go after the X-Metal? Are we actually saying that was the zenith of sunglass design, and we are now just going to coast along on a sea of Frogskin derivatives til the end of time. Surely not. Right?
People on OF are worried. We all love Oakley and want to see them back at the top of their game, producing exciting products. I am still personally hopeful that that time will one day be upon us. Let's not forget we are currently living in a world of global financial crisis, where companies just don't want to take risks any more. But I live in hope that one day when we see a list of six new releases, just one of them is a bit of a risk, stuck in there to see how it floats, where someone has a design idea that gets put into production with some flair and aggression.

3) "Either way, I'm just tired of people saying Oakley isn't original like the good old days. They've been making glasses for 20+ years, honestly what else is left to do? When you come up with some ground breaking ideas or a prototype let me know."You ended with this, so I will too, as it sums up what I have said above.
It is of course not up to us - the consumer - to come up with designs for a company we love (just like we can't tell our favourite football team how to play). And especially an established company of 20+ years. And please don't ask the question "What else is left to do?", because that road leads to a company giving up on new ideas, and releasing same-old-same-old products. They need to FIND something else to do - just as they did in the past. They must have a designer somewhere with a lightbulb over his head, and a flourish to his pen.

The bottom line, my friend, (and I am not 'hating' here) is that Oakley just isn't the same as the good old days. It's a fact. It is a different world now.
But that should not be an excuse for a company we love to rest on its laurels and give up designing exciting eyewear.

Anyone feel like Oakley is running out of ideas? Plaintiff squared which looks similar to the deviation & offshoot which is a shield big taco? However I am digging the chrome/+red plaintiff squared...

While I'm here - to answer the OP - I therefore don't think that Oakley are being 'lazy' as per the thread title. I think they are being 'safe'.

And they have a history of releasing shield-lens versions of their eyewear. That's just an Oakley 'thing'.
Batwolf to Fuel Cell, Antix to Hijinx, Probation to Inmate, etc etc

I think the big question here, Vince, is when you asked "Are they running out of ideas?"
All I can say is . . . . I hope not.

Let's wait and see what the future brings.

Back