• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Advice

LMC12

Oakley Beginner
My dad recently had eye surgery and is now very sensitive to glare, even in overcast conditions. As his birthday is coming up my mam and I decided we should treat him to a decent pair of Oakleys. What lenses would the forum recommend for someone who has to wear sunglasses when driving even when its cloudy?

I'd go with a few lens options. On a cloudy day incident glare won't be an issue an a lighter tint can be used. On a very bright day he'll likely want as dark as possible, black iridium polarized.

I second BRIP with the vr28 black iridium. It's a contrast lens, so it's not too dark, but still dark enough for bright days. I'd say get the polarized if he still drives a lot though. The polarized lenses kill the glare from the road and dashboard.

Polarized lenses are probably going to be something he will need to try first. I know people out there who can not wear polarized lenses. I haven't had problems with them, but there are always reports from people who can't wear them due to headaches. I am in no way of knowing what type of surgery your father has had, or if polarized lenses would have an effect on him medically, but it's something to at least keep in mind. I've been buying sunglasses for the better part of ten years now, and have owned some Oakleys for around seven years. I may not know frames, the Oakley history, or the custom work like many of the good folks here, but I do know lenses.

I had been thinking about getting some more polarized lenses here within the past week, but I've decided against it. I am personally switching from polarized lenses in my frames. First and foremost, I am almost never in a situation to actually benefit from polarized lenses. While they function great on the water, I have found that they don't do much on other surfaces. I'm still blinded at times by other cars, and some of the chrome pieces within my truck. Polarized will help with other surfaces, but only under specific sets of circumstances. On the road for example, direction changes can completely stop the effect the polarization is having on the road. Polarized lenses are intended for water. Despite all of this though, the main reason I am switching is due to my constant use of electronic devices. When using my GPS, iPod, or phone, I have to flip my glasses onto my head. It wasn't bad at first, but it has definitely become an annoyance.

As far as lenses for your father, Black Iridium is Oakley's darkest lens. Non-polarized versions are only 10% light transmission, and 9% light transmission on the Polarized versions. The Vr28 lenses give everything a better contrast, but light transmission is higher. Non-polarized versions are 18% light transmission, and polarized versions are 16%. The difference may not seem like that much, but from the sounds of it, it may be a big difference for your father's eyes.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I just ordered him Oakley Splinters with polarised vr28 black iridium lenses!

Thanks for the advice everyone, I just ordered him Oakley Splinters with polarised vr28 black iridium lenses!

good call, nice classy frames. btw i opted to not have polarization because if its an all rounder, the polarised version is too dark for overcast days. the VR28 Black iridium alone is the perfect lens if you only could choose one to take with you all day.

I'm a firm believer in polarized lenses for all sunny occasions, but I also always have multiple lenses available. I think there's some very solid advice here. I would have personally gone with black iridium polarized and persimmon for the not so bright days

I'm not sure what surgery he had, cataract, lasek, etc, but in my experience, optometrists almost always recommend polarized lenses on patients post eye surgery.

Gold Iridium polarized would be my personal choice as it maintains a the natural color more than VR28 BIP, which makes everything more reddish/brown. However, both are excellent versatile lenses. I would opt to get him polarized first, and if he doesn't like them, exchange them for non polarized.

Back