• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens condition pics

The best photos I have taken of lens condition have been when I have placed the lens on a light table and photographed the lens with the light shining through it.
The only drawback is that I don't own a light table.
Fortunately, I know how to improvise one: I set up my phone/tablet/laptop to display a blank (white) page, set the lens down on that device's screen, then take as many photos of the lens as I like. Since I have both hands on the camera, it's easy to frame and focus each picture as desired. The only drawback to this technique is that it requires the use of two devices: one to act as the light table, and one to take the pictures. For example, I use a tablet and a phone.

The best photos I have taken of lens condition have been when I have placed the lens on a light table and photographed the lens with the light shining through it.
Fortunately, I know how to improvise one: I set up my phone/tablet/laptop to display a blank (white) page, set the lens down on that device's screen, then take as many photos of the lens as I like. Since I have both hands on the camera, it's easy to frame and focus each picture as desired. The only drawback to this technique is that it requires the use of two devices: one to act as the light table, and one to take the pictures. For example, I use a tablet and a phone.

That sounds great! I will try it out. Do you find the device generates enough light? Any samples to share?

Great idea.

That sounds great! I will try it out. Do you find the device generates enough light? Any samples to share?
I don't have my usual setup with me, but I just took this photo of an XX lens with my iPad while the lens was resting on my laptop's screen:
IMG_0831.JPG

Just right of center near the upper edge of the lens is a chip in the iridium, while there's a scratch on the back of the lens near the lower right corner.

I don't have my usual setup with me, but I just took this photo of an XX lens with my iPad while the lens was resting on my laptop's screen:
View attachment 281973

Just right of center near the upper edge of the lens is a chip in the iridium, while there's a scratch on the back of the lens near the lower right corner.
Excellent. Really nice level of detail achieved. Will try this.

Touché. That was one of my crappy pics, my house walls and ceiling are all covered with some sort of paste finish so it is quite hard to get a clean plain white background. I've now began taking picture against my laptop screen with a white background, and seems to be working fine. I like the idea of the white sheet, I'll start using it.
ps. in my pics, you are able to see the lovely curtains my mom chose

Touché. That was one of my crappy pics, my house walls and ceiling are all covered with some sort of paste finish so it is quite hard to get a clean plain white background. I've now began taking picture against my laptop screen with a white background, and seems to be working fine. I like the idea of the white sheet, I'll start using it.
ps. in my pics, you are able to see the lovely curtains my mom chose

I knew sooner or later someone would spot their picture in this thread! Thanks for being so graceful about it.

The thread is definitely intended to be for the benefit of all buyers and sellers, so no offence intended. Taking good lens pics is something I struggle with so I'm not preaching ;-)

I am not sure if it would kill too much light/brightness, but if you put a thin piece of plain paper over the screen when you take a pic you would get rid of the screen pixelation (i.e. diffuses the light). You can see it in the photo by Sun & Sand.

Back