• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Delamination

THE X-MAN

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
ILLINOIS
So....I have a pair of fast jackets and just noticed that I'm getting delam from sitting in its array vault.Does anyone else get this.I think it has something to do with the lenses sitting in those slots in my vault

Had this happen extremely quick with some fire lens for a half jacket pair years ago. Never again will I store a lens in those for any amount of time.

Lenses delaminate when they get old. Chemicals from hair products tend to accelerate the delamination process. I've had 2nd hand juliet and crosshair lenses delaminate by themselves sitting in the frame on my shelf without me ever wearing them

Always kind of worried about how tight those vaults held them,and the damage is bottom inside of an XLJ ice lens.

Mark, I had a pair of gradient Gascan lenses that stayed BNIB for several years before they did this also. I ended up using poly 3M tape and covered the whole lens, when I peeled it off the lens was perfectly clear and removed the entire gradient laminate coating.

Sent from my X Metal iPhone

As one of the ones who has been with Oakley from the very beginning this brings me back to the whole lifetime warranty issue. I used that so many times in those great years and had lenses and whole pairs replaced no questions asked. What a wonderful time that was. I had pairs that I just sat on and had them replaced, ah the olden days....

I for one have never had this problem except for a huge mistake I made with a pair of prescription frames with OEM Oakley non prescription tinted lenses, like an idiot I decided to "wash" them with dawn dishwashing liquid instead of Oakley lens cleaner. Major Facepalm!

Last edited:
whilst on the topic of delamination, i've had over a dozen old lenses where they delaminate during custom cuts. Awesome spraying of iridium coating but a sad loss for the lenses. It's just the way these lenses are - the iridium bonds to the polycarbonate lens do breakdown over the years and nothing lasts forever...

in my time cutting lenses it has happened twice to me. oakley will warranty it with receipts (oakley australia). but i always clean my pairs thoroughly before going on the display or storage. so far none of my personal pairs have done this. just keep washing the oils off it as often as you can (mild soap, lukewarm/room temp water (ive seen the iridium peel from exposure to hot water too-if the bond had already been weakened by oils etc all it takes is a small thermal shock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whilst on the topic of delamination, i've had over a dozen old lenses where they delaminate during custom cuts. Awesome spraying of iridium coating but a sad loss for the lenses. It's just the way these lenses are - the iridium bonds to the polycarbonate lens do breakdown over the years and nothing lasts forever...
I think temp and storage plays a big role as well. I have pieces like first gens blue iridiums and first gen fire lenses still in its box. They seem to be still like new and thise are maybe more that 12 yrs old. You cant store them on a very hot and humid environment better be cold.

in my time cutting lenses it has happened twice to me. oakley will warranty it with receipts (oakley australia). but i always clean my pairs thoroughly before going on the display or storage. so far none of my personal pairs have done this. just keep washing the oils off it as often as you can (mild soap, lukewarm/room temp water (ive seen the iridium peel from exposure to hot water too-if the bond had already been weakened by oils etc all it takes is a small thermal shock
First of all wanted to say what's up to BriP since we don't see him around here much but delamination is a fact of life with lenses. It can occur with NOS lenses as a QC issue or through chemical exposure in the field but it stands to reason that we would see more of it since more samples pass through our hands.
I'm kinda surprised we don't see more of it here frankly but that doesn't mean that I enjoy watching my XX Ti02's waste away... :(

Back