• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens dimensions for X Metal XX vs Juliets

beergrover

Oakley Beginner
Greetings all,

Last year I invested in a pair of Oakley Gasser frames for my daily wear glasses. I spent mad money on scripted/transition/progressive bifocals ($$$) for the frames and like the lightweight frame. However I do NOT like the fact that the coating is already starting to chip off the frames. This is the second pair as the same thing happened to the first pair and they swapped them out on warranty. Needless to say I am disappointed with the quality that Oakley is producing today.

So...I am thinking of getting a second pair of X Metals, one for scripted sun (currently a 17 year old XX X metal finish that are amazing) and one for daily script/bifocal/transition. I love my XX and they are every bit as together as the day I bought them...no coating to fall off! I am considering a pair of Juliets for the daily wear (also in X Metal finish) but am curious about the dimensions of the lens on that frame. Unfortunately I have not the option of going to an Oakley store to size them up. Does anyone know of a dimension diagram or have one that they can forward off to me? My secondary thought is that the lenses that are currently in my Gassers can be modified to fit a set of Juliets. That would be optimal as the price of these lenses were ridiculous. They are quite functional..but expensive. If I have to redo lenses on Juliets I want to know that the frame and lens is big enough for my face. I could compare the dimensions on the frame with these Gassers which are 55/18 frame size.

Any help I could get on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks all!

M

@jdd32 stated it correct and most simply. The base curve alone will make this impossible. Second being both the Gasser and Juliet are 55mm wide there won't be any room/material left to edge off and curve the bevel to fit the more curved Juliet. Equally important having progressive bifocal type lenses, and the two frames having different bridge sizes your PD ( interpupillary distance) and segment heights will be completely thrown off to where you won't see properly. I wish that I had better news for you but anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Trust us. Best of luck! FYI @kronin323 depending on when you purchase those Rx lenses Oakley has upgraded to a stealth anti-reflective coating, much more durable. @BHarry I wish the Juliet was only 54 millimeters wide, because this would allow xx cuts to be cut to fit Juliet. PS, 21 mm if the distance between then lenses, 18 on Gasser throws off rx lenses 3mm (1.5 per eye) if it could theoretically work... It can't though. Peace love guys.

yup the PD difference alone would kill the RX. Even if it's single vision lens, the Oakley RX lenses are 3D sculpted and have varying RX powers along the lens. If the lenses of wrong PD are cut and mounted, you'll be looking through your lenses with completely different RX powers causing blurred vision, eye strain and headaches. In fact, try moving your RX glasses by 1mm off centre and you'll already notice distortions and discomfort. The more RX powers are in your script, the more noticeable this becomes.

I didn't even think about the "true digital" part of the rx, and how vertex, angle, of, and eye rotation/position would make you sick. Yuck! Don't do it! Don't hand edge either lol.

All amazing info. Most impressed with technical know how. Not surprised however. These arent exactly laymans glasses we are dealing with here.

New lenses it is. Is a progressive bifocal possible in an xx or Juliet frame? I really like them but can live without it for the sake of longevity and durability of frames. I guess I am just hoping I can have best of all worlds. If not...so be it. I will use my bifocals for office work and metals all other times.

Again thanks all.

Techinically possible but depends on your local Oakley dealers. I've haven't had much luck from my side of town... most of them run away as soon as i mention x-metal.

As for your old lens, all is not lost. They won't work for X-Metal frames but they're still perfectly valid for other frames.

Those RX lenses cost a fair bit and you may want to consider the use of contact lenses to see if it can offer you a cost effective solution. Even if it means granting you the ability to wear single vision instead of bifocal or progressive lenses, it'd save a substantial amount on the bill of multiple pairs of RX lenses

Pm me @michael.saklad if you'd like RX lenses with progressives in a Juliet. All I would need is some back and forth emails. I'll need your valid RX, your pupillary distance, and/or a selfie of you wearing your Juliet's with no lenses in them. So I can take measurements! So message me what color lenses you'd like also. I've done two sets of Rx through the forum already, and hundreds at my shop!

Latest Posts

Back