1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Oaks & Dawgs

Oaks & Dawgs Oakley Expert Premium Member

I've seen a few "guides" from different websites listing the light transmission rates of Oakley's various lens tints. There are multiple discrepancies though. Just looked at one that said fip was 18% then another said 14%. I think 14% is more accurate but 4% is a pretty big difference! Is there a definitive list somewhere that is accurate, or at least just trustworthy?

QLR1 likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Jay-Da

Jay-Da Oakley Enthusiast

The website has a new lens guide, under Mens > Sunglasses > Lens Guide... The light transmission rates are all over the place compared to the charts I've seen in the stores. 24K on the store chart says 11% but this lens guide says 23%....

QLR1 likes this.
  3. Jay-Da

Jay-Da Oakley Enthusiast

Lens light transmission rates - Oakley LT Chart.PNG

ARB likes this.
  4. BeccaBear

BeccaBear Oakley Beginner

Okay so I get that the lower the percentage = the better the lens is at dealing with bright sunlight...

But what does Neutral / Increased / Bright Light contrast mean?

And I guess you dont really want a protection index less than 3.... which makes me sad since the reds are so low on the chart and are only 2s :(

5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

The o-review lens database is pretty reliable but it too has some discrepancies.

6. BeccaBear

It also makes me sad that Turbine and Fuel Cells have such a limited supply :(

7. Oaks & Dawgs

Oaks & Dawgs Oakley Expert Premium Member

The neutral and increased are referring to color contrast. Neutral lenses are exactly that, neutral; they don't change the colors. Contrast lenses increase various colors depending on on the lens tint. The neutral lenses will generally appear grey from the inside of the lens while contrast lenses will appear amber in color or for the reds they will have a redish/purple hue from the inside.

BeccaBear likes this.
  8. BeccaBear

Ohhhhhhhh I see. So despite it being colorful on the outside, if it says neutral it won't alter the color when looking through them? :)

9. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Depends. Most remain grey but some iridiums can affect the base tint. For example, ruby iridium gives it a bluish hue. While violet changes it so much it looks contrast even though it uses a neutral grey base. See this thread for more info:

Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

QLR1 and OakleyFrankFMJ like this.
  10. ucdavis4PT0gpa

ucdavis4PT0gpa THE BEST IS YET TO COME

who cares, whatever- not like it matters. I mean you wouldn't care if you were buying a car and one thing said it had 400 HP and another said it had 360 HP now would you. Oh wait........

:vinsent: