• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens light transmission rates

Oaks 'Between The Hedges'

The OF Boogeyman 👹
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
I've seen a few "guides" from different websites listing the light transmission rates of Oakley's various lens tints. There are multiple discrepancies though. Just looked at one that said fip was 18% then another said 14%. I think 14% is more accurate but 4% is a pretty big difference! Is there a definitive list somewhere that is accurate, or at least just trustworthy?

The website has a new lens guide, under Mens > Sunglasses > Lens Guide... The light transmission rates are all over the place compared to the charts I've seen in the stores. 24K on the store chart says 11% but this lens guide says 23%....

Oakley LT Chart.PNG

Okay so I get that the lower the percentage = the better the lens is at dealing with bright sunlight...

But what does Neutral / Increased / Bright Light contrast mean?

And I guess you dont really want a protection index less than 3.... which makes me sad since the reds are so low on the chart and are only 2s :(

Okay so I get that the lower the percentage = the better the lens is at dealing with bright sunlight...

But what does Neutral / Increased / Bright Light contrast mean?

And I guess you dont really want a protection index less than 3.... which makes me sad since the reds are so low on the chart and are only 2s :(
The neutral and increased are referring to color contrast. Neutral lenses are exactly that, neutral; they don't change the colors. Contrast lenses increase various colors depending on on the lens tint. The neutral lenses will generally appear grey from the inside of the lens while contrast lenses will appear amber in color or for the reds they will have a redish/purple hue from the inside.

The neutral and increased are referring to color contrast. Neutral lenses are exactly that, neutral; they don't change the colors. Contrast lenses increase various colors depending on on the lens tint. The neutral lenses will generally appear grey from the inside of the lens while contrast lenses will appear amber in color or for the reds they will have a redish/purple hue from the inside.

Ohhhhhhhh I see. So despite it being colorful on the outside, if it says neutral it won't alter the color when looking through them? :)

Ohhhhhhhh I see. So despite it being colorful on the outside, if it says neutral it won't alter the color when looking through them? :)

Depends. Most remain grey but some iridiums can affect the base tint. For example, ruby iridium gives it a bluish hue. While violet changes it so much it looks contrast even though it uses a neutral grey base. See this thread for more info:

Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance?

who cares, whatever- not like it matters. I mean you wouldn't care if you were buying a car and one thing said it had 400 HP and another said it had 360 HP now would you. Oh wait........

:vinsent:

Back