• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens Options + Old Model Info

joelozzy

Oakley Beginner
Hey Gang,

Joel here. Firstly wanted to say G'day as this is my first post on this awesome forum. I have already learnt alot so far and I love looking at everyones collections.
I'm from Sydney, Australia and long story short I'm in the market for an upgrade.

I've fallen in love with the Batwolf and Antix models and have been having difficulty choosing which model but more importantly which polarized lens.

I'd prefer something which does not affect colour and the two options I have are either Black Iridium polarized or Grey Polarized.

I want a natural look and I prefer lenses where you can't see the wearers eyes. I've tried both the lenses on in shop and couldn't really tell all that much difference between them however the lighting wasn't the best as it was indoors.

Is there any main differences between the two lens choices? Which do people prefer? Will the iridium lens last as long? What are the pros and cons?

Cheers guys I've had a look on the oakley site and they suggest that the iridium is for extreme light. I do alot of fishing so they need to be polarized. They will be worn for everyday use. I can't go outside without wearing them. And I'd prefer only one choice for now as they will be ordered on the custom section of the oakley site as a b'day present. They will set me back around $300.

Thanks alot guys I much appreciate any info or help you can offer me.

ALSO

This is my very old pair of oakleys that I've had for something like 5 or 6 years. Wanted to know if there's any demand for this model as it was very popular in its time.

See below for pics:

2011-10-23145457.jpg

2011-10-23145302.jpg

Attachments

• 2011-10-23145457.jpg
    2011-10-23145457.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 2011-10-23145302.jpg
    2011-10-23145302.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 2011-10-23145457.jpg
    2011-10-23145457.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 2011-10-23145302.jpg
    2011-10-23145302.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 209
I want a natural look and I prefer lenses where you can't see the wearers eyes.

Welcome! Black Iridium if being able to see your eyes is your primary concern.

And those glasses are the Eye Jackets. Still a nice frame after all these years. I dunno if you can say there's a general demand for them, but collectors would want them.

Black irid polarized 9% light transmission vs. Grey Polarized 17% light transmission.

So if you are out on the water fishing, I would personally recommend the Black Irid because it will be that much darker and you will never be overwhelmed by the light. Grey is good if you prefer a lighter lens and it tends to look a little more natural. Grey will also be easier to see your eyes through as well because it lacks the iridium layer.

Welcome to the forum!

Hey guys thanks a ton for the responses.

Also wanted to add that I wear contact lenses which is probably irrelevant.

Also do you clean the Black iridium polarized lenses like any other lens with the oakley cleaning solution?

So the only + for the grey polarized at the moment is that it will be a little more natural in terms of color etc. That is pretty important for me. The lens I'm wearing at the moment would probably be classed as more grey.

However the Black Iridium has many more + at the moment. Also it looks better in my opinion.

Much appreciate the help guys still would love some more feedback even if it's already been mentioned.

Cheers

Joel

Welcome to the boards! I would also say go with Black Iridium if you want something dark. Also, it looks like you have a pair of original Minutes and not Eye Jackets. Eye Jackets have a longer earstem on the end. Minutes are short and pointed like yours. Still a popular style.

I personally love the Grey Polarized for everyday use, but like others have said, Black Iridium will work very well on the water :). Welcome!

Another member here strongly reccommending the Black Iridium> they have a strong mirror effect....look much cooler IMO....and also block out more sun which for me is a plus. For a more natural look then definately the Dark Grey but seriously check out the Black Iridium I think you will love the Iridium finish as do many others.

I feel so out of place haha. I prefer the non Iridium coatings. Have you ever tried the Deep Blue Polarized Lenses for some of the other models? Those are fishing specific :).

Hey guys thanks a ton for all the help.

My main concern is that Black Iridium polarized lenses may be too dark for normal everyday use. Other than that I think they would suit me pretty well as you cannot see the eyes and would be quite good on the water.

Does the iridium coating break down over time? Is there any concerns or anything with purchasing the black iridium polarized lens over the grey polarized lens.

Also I had a look at the blue lenses xinzax but I'm not able to get them from Oakley with the Batwolf frame. A majority of the time with them will be just normal outdoor everyday use/travelling etc with occasional fishing of a weekend.

Cheers guys. Still all ears for any suggestions and opinions :)

Joel

Back