• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens recommendations for auto racing

I would go for Deep Water PRIZM POLARIZED. When You come around a curve and go from darker light to direct sun, You whill be glad to have 10% Light Transmission. zI have Daily PRIZM and Deep Water PRIZM. The excellent Contrast in Deep Water PRIZM Polarized will go from darker or indirect sun to direct sun with a smoother transition than any lenses I have ever owned. These Deeps have 10% Light Transmission, but they wear much lighter. They are the best lense that I have ever worn. They are good for all conditions, and PRIZM DAILY POLARIZED are not good at all at handling direct, bright Sunlight Deep Water PRIZM POLARIZED all the way. Awesome lenses.

I would go for Deep Water PRIZM POLARIZED. When You come around a curve and go from darker light to direct sun, You whill be glad to have 10% Light Transmission. zI have Daily PRIZM and Deep Water PRIZM. The excellent Contrast in Deep Water PRIZM Polarized will go from darker or indirect sun to direct sun with a smoother transition than any lenses I have ever owned. These Deeps have 10% Light Transmission, but they wear much lighter. They are the best lense that I have ever worn. They are good for all conditions, and PRIZM DAILY POLARIZED are not good at all at handling direct, bright Sunlight Deep Water PRIZM POLARIZED all the way. Awesome lenses.

Thanks, Wally. Is the reason it feels "lighter" because of the higher-contrast base lens? If I recall correctly, it has a persimmon/rose tint. Do you find that this distorts color very much? As I said, I'm concerned about the safety flags appearing as the wrong color; if I misread a yellow flag as red, that means I would come to a full stop on the track when I didn't need to.

I find the color, once You've had them on for a minute, colors seem very tealistic. It seems that if anything they're intensified. The World looks really beautiful through the DEP WATER PRIZM POLARIZED is the way that I put it. The tint is only noticeable for the first few seconds, and after a slight adjustment colors are rich and realistic if that helps You. I am selling every other lens that I have for my Flak Jackets, and I plan to put Deep Waters in ALL of my Oakleys full time. The best lens that I ever tried, and the World is a beautiful place through them.

I totally agree with Wally, the only thing I can add is that at the extremely edges of the lens, where de iridium coating fades from "titanium" (don't know ho to call it) to sapphire/blue, you can perceive a little change in the tint from rose to a brownish/gold one. But you have to look at it, with normal wear you can't see it

I very bright lens with great contrast and protection from strong and direct sunlight, fisherman approved :cool-33:

I use Black iridium polarized at sunny autocross events and love it. Completely kills the glare of the dash.

I use Black iridium polarized at sunny autocross events and love it. Completely kills the glare of the dash.

Nice, but for on-track time I need something a bit more versatile -- they'll be on my face for 20-30 minutes straight and the IIP (same as BIP, basically) is just a bit too dark.

What do you race, BTW? I have an E90 M3. I used to autocross all of the time but have since moved on to HPDEs/track days.

Not to derail the thread, but autocross I have a 2001 Vette, and rallycross I have a Subaru. My eyes are very light sensitive so I like the dark lens.

I had two Z06's that I took to Watkin's Glen for Open Track days. It's really a great time being able to open it up on the straits and coming out of the curves. You never get to really use those cars on the highway.
I WILL say, if You have to pass a group of cars on a two lane highway, those cars will really shine at passing. Track days are the real deal though.
That M3 must be a lot of fun. I'd love to run in a cleass like that, but after 4 back surgeries, if I hit a wall I could be paralyzed pretty easily. Talking to cyclerdoug I'm thinking about getting back into flying again. That's a great motoring hobby that a bad back can handle.
Like I said, the Deep Water are awesome, and on overcast days the PRIZM DAILY is a great lense for that. I am completely sold on PRIZM technology. It really offers a lot if You choose the right lense for the conditions that confront you.

Thanks again for the recs, guys. I swapped the IIP for Deep Water Polarized and I am quite happy with them. You were correct that they wear much lighter than the figures would suggest, and the rose-base is not distracting or weird at all.

I'm also digging the intense mirror finish they have. It's very unique and more eye-catching than the standard Iridium coatings.

Glad You like them. Like I said, when You turn into the direct sunlight, You'll need every bit of the 10% Light transmission reduction. Especially at speed. I am completely sold on Deep Water, and I'll have them in every pair that they make the lenses for. And Chris will probably have to cut me a few customs.

Back