• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Lens recommendations for auto racing

I had two Z06's that I took to Watkin's Glen for Open Track days. It's really a great time being able to open it up on the straits and coming out of the curves. You never get to really use those cars on the highway.
I WILL say, if You have to pass a group of cars on a two lane highway, those cars will really shine at passing. Track days are the real deal though.
That M3 must be a lot of fun. I'd love to run in a cleass like that, but after 4 back surgeries, if I hit a wall I could be paralyzed pretty easily. Talking to cyclerdoug I'm thinking about getting back into flying again. That's a great motoring hobby that a bad back can handle.
Like I said, the Deep Water are awesome, and on overcast days the PRIZM DAILY is a great lense for that. I am completely sold on PRIZM technology. It really offers a lot if You choose the right lense for the conditions that confront you.
I can guarantee you that power is really used on the local roads and highways. :spiteful: especially in a Z06 with over twice the stock HP

Thanks again for the recs, guys. I swapped the IIP for Deep Water Polarized and I am quite happy with them. You were correct that they wear much lighter than the figures would suggest, and the rose-base is not distracting or weird at all.

I'm also digging the intense mirror finish they have. It's very unique and more eye-catching than the standard Iridium coatings.
I'm not so sure about using polarized lenses on the track. I think plain Black Iridium would be a better choice as a polarized lens will make it harder to any spills on the road. Just sayin.

But if you're happy with them then good luck

I'm not so sure about using polarized lenses on the track. I think plain Black Iridium would be a better choice as a polarized lens will make it harder to any spills on the road. Just sayin.

But if you're happy with them then good luck

I just find that spills and wet spots look different than without polarisation, but are still easy to distinguish from normal asphalt. Most track cars have a matte black dash and that helps with reflections so polarized lenses aren't as important as with daily driving.

I just find that spills and wet spots look different than without polarisation, but are still easy to distinguish from normal asphalt. Most track cars have a matte black dash and that helps with reflections so polarized lenses aren't as important as with daily driving.
I've found standing on the track looking in any direction on the track spills seem to be harder to see.

I know certain guys at the track will absolutely refuse to wear polarized lenses and will make sure that if they get a frame with polarized lenses that they're swapped out before they even put them on.

Back