1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. TWag113

TWag113 Oakley Beginner

Probably a stupid question, but are there any lens tints with a protection index of 4?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Romeo Van Frogskinstein

Romeo Van Frogskinstein Oakley Enthusiast

Protection index 0: very low protection, 1: weak sunlight, 2: average sunlight, 3: strong sunlight. So no index 4 since 3 will cover the most extreme brightness.

3. Advent

Advent Oakley Beginner

Oakley should make a welding helmet. Maybe market it like the medusa or over the top. o_O For those *really really* bright days...?

4. psychephylax

psychephylax Oakley Beginner

I was looking at the insert for lenses and they do show a Lens Protection Index of 4 in the literature and they say you shouldn't drive with a lens index of 4! But I don't know what lens comes in that...

I also noticed that the VR50 Ruby Transitions lens has a protection index of 1/2...Seems you'd only want to wear it on overcast days?

Do people actually pay attention to the protection index ratings and switch sunglasses or lenses based on what the weather conditions are?

5. gunezzue

gunezzue Oakley Beginner

That would be so amusing! imagine seeing people walking around with welding helmets on haha!

6. Rladd

Rladd Oakley Beginner

I believe that the protection index numbers for the VR50 Transition lens means that it is a 1 when not activated by sunlight and a 2 when it darkens from being activated.

7. psychephylax

psychephylax Oakley Beginner

That would make more sense. But notice how they describe the lens in the specs:

Ruby VR50 Photochromic
    Specifications:
    Light Transmission: 16%
    Conditions: Low to Medium
    Protection Index:1/2
    Neutral / Contrast:Contrast

compared to say a Clear-Black Iridium:

Clear-Black Iridium

Light Transmission: Activated: 10%, Faded: 66%
    Conditions:Overcast to Sunny
    Protection Index: Activated: 3, Faded: 1
    Neutral / Contrast: Neutral

I would think the primary use for Transitions would be a lot closer to Clear-Black Iridium since it covers a lot more light conditions rather than the Ruby Echelon lens.